Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 911L - most confused model?

911L - most confused model?

I guess whoever wants to post a question or request for assistance in this forum better do some homework in advance.

It's rather intimidating asking for basic info among people than know more than the people who made these cars.

I have been trying to gather data for the 911L and it seems that in terms of comparison, value and perception there is a lot of confusion or 'inconsistency'

Whoever has more info for the below and can help, much appreciated.

Since the US model in 1968 was named L due to the restrictions, why is there an ROW model

What are the differences between the US and ROW models

I have seen crazy high and low values of L models and not sure whether its because they are US or ROW model, or for any other reason. Is the ROW so rare as well

Is matching engines for this model more important?

Two examples below (among the many) that indicate this weird inconsistency.

http://www.erclassics.com/Porsche-91...-sale-1227.php - Restored matching for $155000

http://media.collectorcarpricetracke...1215276215.pdf - sold in 2013 (in the condition it is) for $4900

Obviously I am in the market for one and I guess certain details I might not be aware of, seem to be important.
    Last edited by mpane7; 06-27-2015 at 06:13 AM.

Looks like the 155k Sporto was a CA. Car...
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas

Don't be afraid to ask. Sometimes you just have to jump into the fray...

I'll start...

Q: Since the US model in 1968 was named L due to the restrictions, why is there an ROW model
    A: The ROW was an S with a better, less restricted motor (no emissions equip)...no more, no less.

Q: What are the differences between the US and ROW models
    A: The engine and badging, the marker lights and some interior features, to name a few.

Q: I have seen crazy high and low values of L models and not sure whether its because they are US or ROW model, or for any other reason. Is the ROW so rare as well
    A: Yes. These are 47 year old cars with poor rust protection as installed by the factory.

Q: Is matching engines for this model more important?
    A: A common point of debate not easy to answer in one line. For some, this is ALWAYS important. Others, not as much.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I share the OP's confusion over market valuation of "Ls." They are Ts with deluxe trim. But a similar valuation difference exists between US Carreras and US Ss 74-75. What the market will pay is what a car is worth, and it's rarely rational.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I had always thought that he 911L was a US-only model, but recently I have heard of RoW 911Ls and The Porsche Book by Jürgen Barth & Gustav Büsing lists both USA and RoW 911Ls.

The 911L is one of the least common 911 models and the small number of 911Ls means that there won't be many data points to establish a market value.

As to the specific data points you pointed out:

The e-bay car

That's a two year old sale, and it's a non-matching numbers project car. I could be wrong, but it looks like a hard-window Targa (possibly converted from soft window). Those will all lead to a low value. The uncertainty of buying something questionable over e-bay may have further depressed values.

The Dealer in Holland

Classic car dealers seem to serve buyers with more time than money, hence they can charge a premium over private sales. The California Car cachet may add some value too. Of course, the Sportmatic transmission doesn't add value.

As to what a 911L's worth though, i'm no appraiser.

The 1968 911L relates to the 1968 911S about the same way that the later 911Es relate to the same year 911Ss. Both Es, Ls, and Ss all have top-of-the-line trim levels.

I would guess that the value of a 1968 911L might be a bit closer to the value of a 1968 911S than the later Es are to Ss given thet the L has a certain uniqueness.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I was in your shoes in 2006. There is some great info in this thread, thanks to the generosity of people such as Grady Clay.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...barn-find.html

Good luck!

Henry
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

The US 911L is basically a ROW 911S with US spec normal (130HP) engine to meet US emissions.
    The ROW 911L is a base 911 (130 HP) like in 67 renamed 911L for 68 to fit between the new 911T (110HP) and the 911S (160HP).
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

what I find interesting is the US cars had side markers and ROW didn't (or most) and later MY's it was the opposite
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Thanks a lot guys .... It's like having a personalized encyclopedia ....

Read a lot of threads and all your comments and I still believe that due to the limited cases out there, values of these cars are between a huge range.
    I guess the nada and hagerty guys are also confused or they don't have enough data.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Ca...r-Coupe/Values
    http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Ca...r-Targa/Values
    https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtoo...port?vbe=44445

I'm on a case of a project 1968 L ROW (non matching T engine - limited rust) and not sure whether 20k, 40k or 60k are 'realistic'

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    It's also worth noting that the most feared 911 in all of autocrossing is Marcel, Terry Zaccone's 911L Targa. https://www.pca.org/panorama/edition...september-2013
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet