Thread: Santa Cruz Woodies on the Wharf 2015

Santa Cruz Woodies on the Wharf 2015

I picked up my new camera and lens(es) on the way home from work yesterday, so it seemed like a good morning to walk down to the Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf for the annual "Woodies on the Wharf" show. Typical summer morning overcast, but beautiful temps.

-- David
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nine17; 06-29-2015 at 04:18 PM.

A few more details from the show. The Woody movement was a huge part of California car culture in the '50's and '60's and it's great to see the graybeards keeping the tiki-torch going...

-- David

Nice! Thanks for posting. My favorite Woodies are the Fords from the fifties. Love that turquoise one. Oh wait, there's two of them!

Thanks, Brent! The 49-51 Ford was the definitive surfer Woody for sure. They were well-represented on the Wharf. I like that few of these cars are trailer-queens; they were being driven by their owners. There was a woody parade to deliver three surf boards that were very likely the first ever used in California, brought to Santa Cruz by three Hawaiian princes in 1885, to the local Museum of Art and History.

-- David

Quote Originally Posted by Nine17 View Post
    I picked up my new camera and lens(es) on the way home from work yesterday.. David
    David,

Congratulations. What did you get ?

I like the images posted above a lot, especially the mermaid radiator ornament with the shallow depth of field - I think it's the best of the lot. Smooth, great dynamic range and contrast, accurate exposures, excellent color fidelity and pin-sharp.

I'll go out on a limb and guess, based on the overall "look" of your photos, that the new camera is not a 'Canikon', rather a Sony or a Fuji, both cameras with excellent & very 'neutral' sensors. What software are you using ?……..and will you be bringing it to Canepa's on Saturday ?

Cheers,

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and guess, based on the overall "look" of your photos, that the new camera is not a 'Canikon', rather a Sony or a Fuji, both cameras with excellent & very 'neutral' sensors.
    John, you are blessed with an excellent eye!

My new camera is the just-released Fujifilm X-T10, here using the superb 23mm f-1.4 Fujinon X Mount lens (which gave-up the terrific bokeh in the mermaid shot). I'm using Fuji's in-camera processing, of which I have been a big fan in the past -- before a mis-hap with my first digital Fuji caused an unfortunate switch to "Canikon" cameras. The latest Fuji firmware (the X-T10 shipped June 16) has 9 Film Simulation modes -- here I was mainly using the new "Classic Chrome" setting which mimics the saturation and contrast of Fujichrome slide film. The in-camera processing also offers other simulations of the classic Fuji emulsions: Provia, Velvia, Astia, plus B&W modes Standard, Ye Filter, R Filter, G Filter, and Sepia. The new auto-focusing software allows for 77 user-selectable focus-points for wide-aperture depth-of-field selection and tracking moving objects.

Needless to say, I'm tickled pink to be back in the Fuji fold. I could go on and on (and bore everyone into full cardiac arrest), but I hope to show you on Saturday -- so long as neither of us steps in front of any busses in the intervening days.

-- David