Thread: 1968 911S Soft Window Targa Value

1968 911S Soft Window Targa Value

I found the car that I had been looking for the past 35 years a little over a year ago, a 1968 S SWT. Rarest S they made and extremely hard to find a solid once since almost all of them started out in Europe and have the rust history to prove it. I wanted a 68 because of all of the unique features - Elephant hide, 5.5X15 Fuchs, trim, etc.

It isn't perfect, but very nice with only 114,000KM(76,000 miles). Very solid with no rust, even the gas heater exhaust is original and solid. Appears to have been repainted the original color 40 years ago or more(car was in storage for past 30 years).

Engine runs great with fresh rebuild by a local racing builder legend. They built it to 2.5 using the S crank, cams etc..., but not the original case. They used another 1968 case. I have the original aluminum case all prepped(shuffle pinned, squirters, boat tailed, etc) but haven't made the switch because the car is a blast to drive with it's current engine and I can drive it hard because if something were to happen - I wouldn't be risking the original case.

Very nice, original, elephant hide interior. Top rebuilt by Autos International with correct vinyl headliner.

Still wearing it's original date matched set of five 5.5X15 Fuchs in great shape.

I've found that sometimes Hagerty is pretty accurate on values, but often not. Particularly on very rare models with very little sales activity. The 1968 911S is one that they've missed the boat on in my opinion.

I'm trying to establish a real world value for a couple of reasons. One for insurance purposes obviously. The second reason is that I get several inquiries of "Is it for sale?" My rule of thumb has always been that every car I own is for sale for the right price. I've owned most Porsche models over the years(Pre-A, A, B, C, Speedsters, Roadsters, Cabriolets, E's, T's, etc). However, there are still a couple of models on my bucket list. I prefer to keep the S a bit longer, but for the right price it too would pass. But what is the right price?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by L.a.Brooks; 07-05-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Binion View Post
    I would just use the price points for similar condition '67 swt "S" models from Hagerty's, auctions, etc. No premium imho for a '68 over a '67.
    Thank you for your comments John.

Actually, I tend to agree with you. I don't think a 1968 S is worth more than the same model 1967 S, in fact, since it's the first model year I'm inclined to think the 67 is worth a little bit more. But Hagerty puts it at about 50%, which is absurd and in no way reflective of the few sales I've seen.

Hi,

In my view the 67 S soft window is worth a little more because first S and first Targa, but 68 S Targa should perhaps be 20% less, but certainly not half. I would choose a solid original 68 over a restored 67.

By the way, does your car have weights in the bumper? Much less sensitive to wind on the highway with the weights.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Last night there was an auto auction on TV and a very nice 67S SWT sold for $130,000.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Wilson View Post
    Last night there was an auto auction on TV and a very nice 67S SWT sold for $130,000.
    John
    That car must have not been restored well. Otherwise, someone left six figures on the "bone"....???
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Milou View Post
    Hi,

In my view the 67 S soft window is worth a little more because first S and first Targa, but 68 S Targa should perhaps be 20% less, but certainly not half. I would choose a solid original 68 over a restored 67.

By the way, does your car have weights in the bumper? Much less sensitive to wind on the highway with the weights.
    The bumper reinforcements started in the 1965 model year with chassis # 0301340.

Aside from being the first model year for both the Targa and the 911S, 1967 was the last year for many of the "charming" features that attract people to the short wheelbase cars like the green gauges and covered headlights.

Of course a 1968 911S is a RoW car and doesn't have the the sugar scoop headlights and side marker lights that detract from the USA version of the 911's appeal. In fact, it looks like that car may have the infamous H1 headlights (which started as standard equipment on the '68 911S at Targa chassis # 11850065).

I suspect that a 1968 911S should be valued more like a 1969, possibly a little lower.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

[QUOTE=NeunElf;816784]The bumper reinforcements started in the 1965 model year with chassis # 0301340.
    the infamous H1 headlights (which started as standard equipment on the '68 911S at Targa chassis # 11850065).

Infamous?
    The best headlight they ever offered on an air cooled 911 infamous? Not sure why you would say that.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    [QUOTE=L.a.Brooks;816824]
    Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    The bumper reinforcements started in the 1965 model year with chassis # 0301340.
    the infamous H1 headlights (which started as standard equipment on the '68 911S at Targa chassis # 11850065).

Infamous?
    The best headlight they ever offered on an air cooled 911 infamous? Not sure why you would say that.
    Just joking. They have--however--inspired much lust, envy, and greed.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 06-29-2015 at 07:37 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Are the lenses marked (last three digits of the number on the bottom of the lens) 007, 007..008, or 010 ?
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Name:  IMG_0173.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  152.6 KBName:  IMG_0174.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  137.3 KBName:  IMG_0173.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  152.6 KBName:  IMG_0174.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  137.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by joegt3cup View Post
    Are the lenses marked (last three digits of the number on the bottom of the lens) 007, 007..008, or 010 ?
    They are both 010