Thread: MFI throttle body stop screw setting

MFI throttle body stop screw setting

Can anyone offer guidance on the correct settings of the stop screw of MFI throttle bodies (2.4 T). In the process today of sorting out an MFI system that had been extensively "tinkered with" by previous owner. Throttle bodies are clean and in good shape, but the throttle plate stops had been treated like idle adjustment screws. I can't find an initial setting point in any of the literature I have, or in the online threads I've found. Maybe I've just overlooked it. I took stop screw each back to where the plate was closed (you can feel it stick slightly in the bore), then brought each screw in so it just touched the lever, and then about 1/4 turn more. Car starts and idles well, but only by opening the bypass screws 8/2 , which is more than normal I think. Thanks for any assistance.
    DG

There is no manual procedure since these were set on a flow bench. What you've done is as good a starting point as any. Adjust each screw further open by about a quarter turn each until you get to where the idle by-passes are open as far as you'd like, and you can get each stack pulling the same with the synchrometer tool.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Touching + 3/4 turn is a good initial setting point . I've worked on some low mileage untouched original cars , there's no way the TB's were set on a flow bench . Not to say that wasn't the general procedure , but these seemed to have missed a station on the assembly line .

member #1515
    Although I have not personally set up a set of Porsche throttle bodies I've done some other cars with individual throttle plates and would think it would be a similar process. Usually a mechanical set point is used to assure the throttle valves are not wearing on the bore, either with a measurement off the stop or in the bore to achieve a uniform setting. So what you have done seems a logical approach.
    After that has been done the bypass screws are used to synchronize the flow through the procedure set out in the CMA manual.
    Have all the bypass holes been cleaned out to make sure they are not carbonized?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thanks Ed and Richey. That gives me confidence it s OK to have them a little farther open than the bare minimum. I'm sure that little bit of opening will be enough to get the bypass screws in the normal range.

David, yes, very clean bypass holes. I will play with them some this evening and see if I can come up with some sort of measuring tool to get the throttle plates all the same opening when on the stop. Then the CMA procedure should get it all dialed in exactly.

DG