Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backdating a 1970 Targa that was "Updated"

Backdating a 1970 Targa that was "Updated"

1st off, you guys rock and since my last visit I got myself my first 911!

This car was "Updated" sometime in the 80s and I want a more classic look.

It's a 1970 911t Targa

I'm not trying for perfection, just some incremental tweaks. I don't mind doing weird things like mixing colors.

My budget is $5k per year or so, give me your crazy ideas!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  193.7 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  150.3 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  150.4 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  129.8 KB
    Last edited by PPPP; 07-13-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Start , gathering parts and enjoy the car as is. pan looks good in pic. check where the front arms mount ,make sure no rust/ previous repairs. you can address all that at the same time that you rebackdate the latch panel if needed. targas IMO look best stock rather than hot rodded,what was the original color? You can do it for 5k if you do all of the work yourself and you like red.Cheers! Steve

Quote Originally Posted by chiroracer View Post
    Start , gathering parts and enjoy the car as is. pan looks good in pic. check where the front arms mount ,make sure no rust/ previous repairs. you can address all that at the same time that you rebackdate the latch panel if needed. targas IMO look best stock rather than hot rodded,what was the original color? You can do it for 5k if you do all of the work yourself and you like red.Cheers! Steve

What parts should I start hunting for?

Paint is not a priority, the car can look weird for a bit until its final form is realized
    Last edited by PPPP; 07-13-2015 at 06:17 PM.

Do all the maintenance items, brake fluid, flex lines, wheel bearings, axle C.V.'s, ck for full throttle, hand brake adjustment, battery cleaning and replace cable ends with proper Porsche ones if needed, clean in-tank filter, replace wiper blades, ck. for proper clutch adjustment, tire age and air pressure,,,,,,,,,and the list goes on, you'll find plenty of ways to go thru your 5,000
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The first thing that I would do is replace the Whale Tail, mirrors and wheels with period correct parts and then strip off the paint from the Targa Bar and it would start looking more like a 1970 911 Targa. But to also finish backdating the rest of the car for under $5k is gonna be tough, as Steve mentioned it could be done if you can do it yourself.

Nice purchase BTW
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Do all the maintenance items, brake fluid, flex lines, wheel bearings, axle C.V.'s, ck for full throttle, hand brake adjustment, battery cleaning and replace cable ends with proper Porsche ones if needed, clean in-tank filter, replace wiper blades, ck. for proper clutch adjustment, tire age and air pressure,,,,,,,,,and the list goes on, you'll find plenty of ways to go thru your 5,000
    Thanks for that, I got lucky and this one has non flex (steel?) brake lines + new tires. I will check into the other things you mentioned.
    Last edited by PPPP; 07-13-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzmo View Post
    The first thing that I would do is replace the Whale Tail, mirrors and wheels with period correct parts and then strip off the paint from the Targa Bar and it would start looking more like a 1970 911 Targa. But to also finish backdating the rest of the car for under $5k is gonna be tough, as Steve mentioned it could be done if you can do it yourself.

Nice purchase BTW
    Thanks!

I like these ideas, stuff I can handle.

What method would you recommend for stripping the targa bar?

For the tail, do I just buy the grill without the decklid or does that need to be changed too?
    Last edited by PPPP; 07-13-2015 at 06:18 PM.

Recently, I bought a 72 coupe that had blacked out trim and SC rockers, but kept the original bumpers and stuff.

Even if you do all the work yourself, and you will have to, $5k will slip thru your hands very quickly.

You can strip all the black trim, on mine, they replaced it all with factory new parts in the late 70's so it was anodized....it can be stripped off with oven cleaner or drain cleaner, and then polished...very labor intensive, but the results are great.

The mirrors are tough as they leave some big holes behind, so they need be welded up, to do it right. And then paint. Rocker panels are easy, just some small holes to be welded shut then under coated or painted over...rear bumper is easy, but the parts are pricey, but that's nothing compared to the front.

I'd budget $10k minimum, more like $15k if you do it all yourself. You can sell of some of the bits and make a few bucks, but if you aren't doing the paint yourself, plan on almost $10k just for that.

member #1515
    I don't want to scare you but you are looking at more than 30k to put it back, at a bare minimum. Just a start: 8k seats, 3k door pockets, 10k body backdate, 15k repaint, (if red was original).
    My advice, same as Ed's, take care of maintenance items leave it alone, and enjoy the car.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    Recently, I bought a 72 coupe that had blacked out trim and SC rockers, but kept the original bumpers and stuff.

Even if you do all the work yourself, and you will have to, $5k will slip thru your hands very quickly.

You can strip all the black trim, on mine, they replaced it all with factory new parts in the late 70's so it was anodized....it can be stripped off with oven cleaner or drain cleaner, and then polished...very labor intensive, but the results are great.

The mirrors are tough as they leave some big holes behind, so they need be welded up, to do it right. And then paint. Rocker panels are easy, just some small holes to be welded shut then under coated or painted over...rear bumper is easy, but the parts are pricey, but that's nothing compared to the front.

I'd budget $10k minimum, more like $15k if you do it all yourself. You can sell of some of the bits and make a few bucks, but if you aren't doing the paint yourself, plan on almost $10k just for that.
    Excellent Info! For the stove / drain cleaner, Where did you learn to do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6RuUTo_fQs <<<<< EDIT: I just found a video of de-anodizing on a micro level.
    Last edited by PPPP; 07-13-2015 at 05:03 PM.