Thread: 73S - door stay installation question please

73S - door stay installation question please

I purchased a pair of the latest superseded door stays for my 73....re the attached photo, can anyone tell me the orientation of the INSIDE curve on the arm as these new style can seemingly be installed with the curve in either direction unlike the originals. Seems I may have guessed at the wrong orientation on the right door as I have the INSIDE of the curve facing towards the door and perhaps it should be towards the A-pillar. I say that because it does not seem 'happy' as I can't seem to move the door closed from its open position from installing it....not likely anywhere the amount of tension I am feeling seems correct and I don't want to proceed without confirming the arm's orientation. Thank you all. P.S. thoughts on these newer style stays vice rebuilding the older/original style also in the photo would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BUMP - today's project so any help would be most appreciated - thank you!

I have the replacements on my 1973. The passenger door is positioned with the curve in the same direction as shown in your picture.
    Last edited by ESully; 07-26-2015 at 04:51 PM.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

E Sully - thank you for the most helpful confirmation. I noticed that the spacing between the mounting holes - between the replacement and original - is of greater distance from one another, and a rather right fit of putting in the attaching bolts in because of the rolled edges of the opening on the door where the arm exits through. With the original, the mounting holes are much closer. The later opening on the doors are straight cut openings - perhaps allowing more room. Thanks again - back to the garage!

Rebuild the old ones, those new ones seem like the are more for a heavy door with crash bars and power windows, plus they don't fit

Quote Originally Posted by VintageExcellen View Post
    Rebuild the old ones, those new ones seem like the are more for a heavy door with crash bars and power windows, plus they don't fit
    Mark - thank you too for your thoughts, and I indeed ordered a few kits from STODDARD to rebuilt the originals. I too found out that the fit is just not right...probably could be done as evident by other's experiences, but the original configuration and spacing between the mounting holes is vastly better.

Huge embarrassment to Porsche - can't even buy proper door stays from Porsche that were POS from day one
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

My driver's door needs help. I checked the Stoddard list. What exactly do I need to rebuild the stays?

Name:  sic-624-105-00_copy_1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  37.3 KB
    SIC-624-105-00

Name:  sic-531-001-20lg.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  39.5 KB
    SIC-531-001-20

Richard Newton

You need the SIC-624-105-00 kit. The door pins are only needed if you are missing your originals. The springs are very tight so hard to get on. Note the direction of the alloy strap, if you put it in backwards you have to take it back apart. You could still hear a popping/clicking noise if the hole on the body where the pin goes in is worn out - these always need to be checked for wear before paint!