Thread: FS: @AK - 1968 Porsche 911 - Not Mine

FS: @AK - 1968 Porsche 911 - Not Mine

I was wondering why Paul asked me to borrow Astro (our community mascot German Shepherd). Then I saw this video he just put up this morning and spit coffee on myself.

I'm going to have to make sure Astro's SAG card is current before anymore filming

All the details are at Paul and Ed's site: www.AutoKennel.com
    SOLD 8/8/15

Here's the video:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N_pRPVNJ0LM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Jeff Tighe; 08-12-2015 at 05:19 AM.

The story of the Chapulin grin

The "rest of the story" is right here on the Registry ....

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...light=chapulin

I have been very fortunate and blessed to have the opportunity to drive more early 911s than I could have ever imagined. Although I have driven some very good/excellent examples, there are always just a few that become truly memorable. This is one of those cars. With the help of Tony/Marco, Esposito, and Meaney, Reza really built a great car for himself. I still can't figure out why he would sell it. It is truly the best SWB 911 I have ever driven and possibly best long-hood period. It is the perfect blend of balance and attitude. It just makes me smile/almost giggle when driving it. Last weekend, Patrick Long took it out for a quick spin and he too had an ear to ear grin. There is something special about this early 911...and Reza, if you are reading this, and no one steps up in the next few weeks, maybe we can work out a deal

(I can even work out visitation rights for the future...hehe)

1966 BMW 1600 (one of first in U.S.)
    1967 VW Beetle Sedan (Honeymoon car)
    1984 Porsche 928S (Hindenburg)
    1986/1973 Backdated 911 Coupe (R Gruppe/La Tortuga)
    1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo
    1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    1999 BMW M Coupe (Race soon to be Rally)
    2003 Jaguar S-Type R Supercharged (family hauler/rain car)
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3
    2005 Chevy Express 16-passenger van (for hauling everything else)

http://www.autokennel.com

Out of curiosity how materially different does it drive from an early 911S? Short shifter, a bit more powerful and upgraded front suspension? Is it materially different feel to drive versus a 67S or 70S?

Thank you

It's hard to compare exactly to these cars, because they are all old 40+ year old cars. Of course, the general consensus is that the SWB cars are a bit more twitchy and more fun at lower speeds. However, now days, it really is more about how the car was restored. I've driven some long wheel base cars that sounded great on paper (ie big motor, wammy suspension, 930 brakes, etc. etc.) but when you actually drove it, it felt nervous and instilled zero confidence. In general, preparing a SWB car takes a bit more effort to get the balance just right. The suspension set up on this car really works well. It is supple enough to not beat you to death on a long drive as well as not be darty on uneven road conditions. While, have excellent steering feedback. Personally, the 2.2 S (as well as E) engines are the best (my favorite) early 911 motors. The throttle response, sound, and linear power is perfect. Of course, sometimes people forget how important a good chassis is (think F1 and how much they discuss the chassis). So, all of these elements have to come together (not easy). I've seen a lot of cars that look stunning, but drive horrible.

Ask anyone who has built an early 911. It is not easy and takes a lot of time, knowledge, and money to make a good car.

I don't favor any particular year long-hood, I just like a well built car that is balanced. It makes the overall enjoyment exponentially better.

In the end, this car feels like the power and responsiveness of a '70/'71 911 S with the signature light front steering of a '67S...a very good blend.

I hope this helps..

This is just my opinion/ $0.02 worth. I'm sure others have different takes.

Cheers,

paul

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3

I'm responsible for a bunch of those miles on 'cricket' and I'll sum up what makes this car so great in a few key points.

It's light, it doesn't have much 'stuff', the motor and gearbox are what they are, but certainly lighter than later, higher displacement motors, yet the power output is great. No radio, spartan interior

The car doesn't have that 'twitchy' feeling of a lot of SWB cars....it did a little at one time, but a proper corner balance & alignment made a world of difference

The right guys did their best work on this car, as has been well documented. Owned by a guy with a vision of what he wanted the car to become, and executed those desires perfectly

It'll keep up with the bigger motor hotrods, and will make the experience far more enjoyable, you'll always have a smile on your face, doing drives with guys with wide-bodied cars, fat tires, big motors, and here you are on skinny rubber with a sweet sounding MFI 2.2 that just surprises you and everyone else, mile after mile.

The car gets a ton of attention everywhere, it sounds great, but looks even better.

EVERYONE who drives it walks away impressed, and in LOVE with the thing

Someone is going to be a very happy new owner, even/especially if it is Paul!

LOL...funny. I really wish I could keep them all.
    Last edited by Paul-HB; 08-12-2015 at 05:20 AM.

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3

As with any custom build, everyone has their personal things they like or would change. We have done countless interiors for our clients to meet their specific needs. If someone prefers different seats or colors, we can help coordinate getting it done so it is a turnkey purchase....no problem.
    Last edited by Paul-HB; 08-12-2015 at 05:20 AM.

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3

Sold...new owner lives in Santa Barbara, CA. He is excited about joining some of us misfits on future gatherings/drives...perfect new owner.

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3