Thread: There's an app for that . . . NOT! What's a rallymaster to do?

There's an app for that . . . NOT! What's a rallymaster to do?

This may not be the best forum to post this inquiry/suggestion, but in an effort to get some grass roots interest, I am starting here.

Many of us have been on vintage car rallies that start at a common meeting point, meander through the hills and twisties, and end at a common meeting point. The problem is that the directions for these organized rallies are always printed on 8 1/2 x 11 paper with instructions that are difficult to follow and in most cases require a passenger to be navigating!

Many of us have ALSO had the pleasure to make acquaintance with map applications such as Google Maps or WAZE which give excellent visual cues and corresponding voice narrative that are, in my humble opinion, remarkably easy to follow.

Why has nobody designed an app to put these two functions together???? Yesterday, I went on the wonderful Domenico Spadero Memorial Drive here in the Northeast and, even with passengers doing the navigating I saw a half-dozen turns were "missed" and the cars had to u-turn back to stay on the rally! Self-navigating with WAZE, I cannot remember a time that I missed a turn!

The current map functions do allow for multi-stop routes, but they are designed to optimize the travel time between them. This will oftentimes defeat the purpose of a rally which might be to take a more scenic or more "twisty" route.

The rallymasters go to tremendous effort already to "map out" the rallies beforehand and type up instructions that will be "easy" to follow. It seems to me there should be a way for the rallymaster to go online and highlight the route he has designed so that the voice and visual cue functions in the app can "take over" and lead the participants around.

That's it. There's my idea. There should be an app for that!
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    Hi Jim,

I agree, I am in the middle of final planning steps for the East Coast 912 Rendezvous in September, and am trying to figure out the best way to do the maps. I tried to see if there was a way to save the route in google maps and share with everyone so in theory they would hear voice directions. I cant quite get it to work that way though.

It would be wonderful if someone not only created an ap, but created a mapping service where you could plug in your routes like google maps - in my experience google wants to take you the fastest way, and can only allow so many points to be plugged into the map (ie where i force it to go away from the fastest route). Which is another issue i have struggled with.

PS, i notice you are a 912er, and in NY - have you heard about our event yet? we have about 30 912s coming from as far away as Kansas City. Registration closes in a week (on August 10). If you are free, it would be great to have you there . https://www.regonline.com/builder/si...ventID=1721326

email me if you have any questions hoffman912@gmail.com
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Hi guys,
    I have tried a lot of different ways to get this accomplished, but at the end never got a real satisfactory result.
    The main problem I've had is the mobile GPS system not the making of the route.
    With http://www.motoplaner.de/ you can do the route and export it so you can import on the route on your gps (semms to working in the us too).
    I've tried so far Garmin tomtom and navigon and the results are simply not satisfactory.
    The main problem is that gps are making small chunks out of the route and often calculating the route and displaying the next chunk after you've passed the last point thus never displaying the complete route.

The best result I got when I made a "path" of the route and had that displayed on the screen, but with the Garmin you'll have to zoom and pan all the time as it doesn't move with you ...

The porsche GTS app might do it when you "record" the track, but after having several times driven a route just to have the software "hang" left me frustrated.

If you come across a good solution please share - I'm interested.

Cheers

Uli

Yeah, Harry, I cannot get away from my business on those days. It looks like fun!

BTW, are you interested in my flat 6 Fuchs? I PM'ed you and never heard back --

Jim
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    hey, sorry about that, totally missed your PM. I would prefer a set of 5.5s but I am interested for the depending on price.

back on rallye directions, https://www.rallynavigator.com/ has a great tool for creating tulip maps, but it does not display street names and has a cost. of course it doesnt have an ap either, it would be more printed maps.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

The TYRE tool works pretty well when you know the tips and tricks.
    It exports routes to the main manufacturers of GPS systems (Garmin, Tomtom)
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

Quote Originally Posted by uptheorg View Post
    That's it. There's my idea. There should be an app for that!
    Well, there IS an app for that. Sort of. Here in the US, most major rallies (actual competition stage rallies) use the Jemba Inertia Notes System from Sweden. The stages are pre-driven (at civilian speeds) using a laptop and GPS with Jemba software. Jemba then spits out the stage notes. Then strap your laptop in the right chair, turn up the volume, and do what the "virtual co-driver" tells you to do!

http://www.jemba.se/notesUSA.htm

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/apL5Wva5ju0?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>