Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intro, and finding a '70 T

Intro, and finding a '70 T

Just paid to join the registry, and feel a bit inadequate because I have never owned a 911. Well, you've got to start somewhere...

I'm 41, have always dreamed of owning a 911 since I can remember. My bedroom walls were plastered with 911 posters, and right above my bed was a silver 959. My father would take me to the local Porsche dealer (Carousel in Iowa City) so I could look at the cars in 3-D. I have a picture somewhere of 12 year old me crouching next to a Guards red 911 turbo with blacked out Fuchs. That car was burned into my synapses and has never left. I remember watching Al Unser Jr. driving the Lowenbrau 962 on TV. I was just a kid, but something drew me to Porsche. I think it all started before I was born. Dad bought a 911T from Gruber Porsche in Cedar Rapids, and sold it before I was born. So now that I've hit middle age, and in a different frame of mind, I'm looking into getting into a 911 of some sort. Of course I would want it to be air cooled. I have always sort of looked at the want ads over the years in hopes of stumbling onto something, but I was either too complacent, or it wasn't meant to be. The past few months I've looked pretty seriously and the prices are, well, a bit higher than I remember just a few years ago. A friend of my dad's let me drive his 71 S a few weeks ago, that was pretty special. But I think what would be especially meaningful would be if I could somehow track down dad's '70 911T and buy it back from its current owner. Pipe dream? Probably. But it will be fun to try (tips appreciated!) Especially since all I have are a couple pictures (below) no VIN, no license, nothing.

So, if anything transpires I'll be thrilled. In the meantime I'll have to relegate myself to finishing fixing up my '69 beetle and be satisfied with a more humble air-cooled "Porsche". If you're in the eastern Iowa area, and may know this vehicle, or have some Porsche history in the area, I'd love to hear from you.

Name:  Dad's 911T with mom and big brother.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  96.2 KBName:  Dad's 911T with Grandpa and Uncle Albert.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  516.5 KB

Hey, Jameel . . .

Welcome aboard --- and glad to read that you've paid/joined. And post that member#, will ya? Curious what we're up to, now

Anyway, finding your Pop's car, 40-some years on will be a biiiiiiiiit of a challenge --- especially without any 'numbers' to go by. Do you have any names of owners or insurance stuff or maybe some old paperwork that might give some/any details? Failing that --- ya might just give your Iowa DMV a shout --- see if thay can find any records w/ your Pop's name on 'em

Never know . . .

. . . and, again --- welcome aboard

PS Love your olde pics = 'just a car.' Got any more?

We Can Be Heroes

Welcome ! I grew up in IC too - my dad looked at a Porsche back in the early 70's at the CR dealership and test drove a 914 - sadly he ended up buying a new to the market sports car (Toyota Celica) the car I drove to my prom years later (our neighbors had a 240Z and raved about jap crap so he went that way - any way best of luck and welcome
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Thumbs up

Cheers Jameel, welcome, and thanks for the support...

This is diffidently the place to be with our affliction...........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks for the welcome. I honestly don't know my registry #, I didn't see it on any of the emails I got from the Boutique. Can't seem to track it down. I also would like access to the registry itself so I can connect with some locals. I guess that gets mailed to me (sorry for all the newbie stuff)

I don't have any paperwork or numbers. Nothing. I did try the Linn Co. Treasurer, but records only go back to 1990. I do have the contact info for the salesman who sold the 911 to dad, Mike Rexroat, who also opened up a Porsche/Audi dealership in the Quad Cities. So that's my next stop. Then onto Stalltek in Wellman. I know it's going to be a long shot, but just what if the car was still in Cedar Rapids? Sitting in the 2nd owner's garage gathering dust. It's entirely possible. Hey, one can hope right?

Funny story about Celica vs. 911. Dad tells a story of driving the 911 to the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee with mom and big brother (just 2 years old). Dad was driving the 911 on some twisty mountain road, behind a Celica. He says it was all he could do to keep up with the Celica through the corners. When he got back home he asked Rexroat why. He said the Celica had a shorter wheelbase and could take the corners faster. I don't think that's true (the 911 is shorter I'm fairly certain) and 45 years is a long time to get the facts right, but cool story nonetheless.

Thanks for the welcome. I honestly don't know my registry #, I didn't see it on any of the emails I got from the Boutique. Can't seem to track it down. I also would like access to the registry itself so I can connect with some locals. I guess that gets mailed to me (sorry for all the newbie stuff)
    Jameel,

Your Registry membership number and packet of stuff will be forth coming in the snail mail...
    The Registry's 'roster' (our data base for members) will be sent as a pdf soon.

Hope this helps,
    Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 08-09-2015 at 09:07 AM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Banned
    Jameel,

If you have the funds I would suggest you get a chip in the game while you continue searching for the proverbial needle. Your single purpose focus right now may prevent you from buying a really good car as the market quietly continues to head north.

"He said the Celica had a shorter wheelbase and could take the corners faster."

Sounds like something a salesman would say.

Welcome to this incestuous family.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Jameel,

Your Registry membership number and packet of stuff will be forth coming in the snail mail...
    The Registry's 'roster' (our data base for members) will be sent as a pdf soon.

Hope this helps,
    Chuck
    Thanks Chuck. Look forward to getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Jameel,

If you have the funds I would suggest you get a chip in the game while you continue searching for the proverbial needle. Your single purpose focus right now may prevent you from buying a really good car as the market quietly continues to head north.

"He said the Celica had a shorter wheelbase and could take the corners faster."

Sounds like something a salesman would say.

Welcome to this incestuous family.
    I've been keeping my eyes open for a few months now. Might be a fools game, but I'm sort of hoping the market cools a little, or at least returns to a more realistic level. I'm not wealthy, and even if I was given a 911, I doubt I'd be able to insure a car with a three-figure value for more than a year or two. At this moment, I feel like it's too little too late. Used 356's and 911's were so cheap when I was an armchair enthusiast that I feel like I'm late to the party and may never get in the front door. Eh, markets change. There's always hope.

it will change
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameel View Post
    Thanks Chuck. Look forward to getting it.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a few months now. Might be a fools game, but I'm sort of hoping the market cools a little, or at least returns to a more realistic level. I'm not wealthy, and even if I was given a 911, I doubt I'd be able to insure a car with a three-figure value for more than a year or two. At this moment, I feel like it's too little too late. Used 356's and 911's were so cheap when I was an armchair enthusiast that I feel like I'm late to the party and may never get in the front door. Eh, markets change. There's always hope.
    I wouldn't count on the lower tier changing much.

A decent, driver quality T coupe will always be worth a minimum of $35-40k and with restoration costs and parts continuing to go up I believe $120k "ish" for a restored example can't go down much, if at all.

$300k S cars?
    Now THAT market is volatile.

Jameel,

So...

You're hoping to find your father's old car

AND

even if someone gives it to you, you won't be able to afford the insurance? I'm a little confused.