Thread: Fuel Pressure Problem?

Fuel Pressure Problem?

My 71T with 2.2L and Webers just got inspected and on the road today. I've driven it maybe 20 miles over the last couple months as I finished bringing it back from a 20+ year sleep.

Today I smelled fuel for the first time. When I stopped and checked the engine compartment, fuel was coming out where the fuel line enters on both carbs. It stopped as soon as I turned off the key. That makes me think I've got a fuel pressure problem. The pump is a Facet that came with the car and about 7 gal of 20 year old fuel. I took the pump apart and cleaned when I cleaned and sealed the tank. Is it possible that it suddenly kicked up to a higher pressure? I thought a Facetwas ok with carbs. I'd consider a pressure regulator, but my return fuel line is missing.

Should I just replace it? What pump is recommended? I've read good things about the Pierburg, but which one?
    1971 911T - 3.0L with PMO's - Light Ivory - Gretchen

Facet pumps have been known to be unreliable, although none of the ones I've owned -- so far -- but you need to check the fuel pressure first, about 3.5 psi. Get a gauge if you don't have one. Also check the washers/gaskets at the fuel delivery fittings at the carbs -- they can deteriorate and leak over time especially with the car sitting so long.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Thanks for the reply. The webers didn't come with the car and were rebuilt right before we installed them. It's just odd that both started leaking at the same time. I'll get a gauge.
    1971 911T - 3.0L with PMO's - Light Ivory - Gretchen

If you dismantled and cleaned the pump are you confident that you re-fitted the springs in the correct orientation.

Early Bendix/Facet Pumps has 2 springs one either side of the plunger and I think if you get them the wrong way round the pressure will increase.

Pierburg do make a very low pressure pump and we use them on Solex 40PI carbs to replace the diaphragm pumps on race cars. The deliver around 1.5psi.

They do not have a massive delivery capability and we use one pump to each set of carbs.

I would tend to use a Hardi pump, there were fitted to the 1967 911S. They are 2.5/3.5 psi and don't need a regulator.

They have more than enough delivery volume and are less expensive than a single Pierburg.

Good quality pump and very reliable.

Tommy there are many models of Facet pumps and they are mostly very reliable in my experience. The one for standard Weber carbs should be a low pressure specification, 3-5psi max, I am advised. You can check against the Facet specifications (and related brands using the same pump) to ensure your model is correct. As Chris says the springs determine the pressure. From their guide: "In some applications a low pressure supply is needed to avoid running a pressure regulator. 3 alternative pressure springs are available for the pump 2-3Psi, 4-5Psi and 6-7Psi. The springs cost £2.79 each and can be fitted by the pump supplier before dispatch."

I use the lowest rated one on my Webers and it runs fine.

This page shows the models: http://www.facet-purolator.com/gold-flo.php
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

I do not think you have a fuel pressure problem but just loose fuel lines from the rebuild.
    If the pump was over pressuring the needle valves the gas comes up through the bowel vents on top of the carbs.
    Tucson AZ.