Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to soften leather on steering wheel? And then to restitch it.

How to soften leather on steering wheel? And then to restitch it.

Anyone have any good tips on how to soften the leather wrap on our steering wheels?

Much of the threads on my stock 1973 911 steering wheel have broken. I took of the wheel probably 20 years ago now, and installed an earlier factory wood one. Now that I'm also driving my early 912 with the wood wheel, I feel like I'd like to put the leather one back on the 911.

So, I want to restitch it. However, I'm concerned that if I just go and restitch it, the leather may have hardened over the years and rip. That's why I'm asking about softening the leather on the steering wheel.

Any good tips on the restitching itself would of course also be welcome.

Jay

Jay,

I'd use Neatsfoot oil.... let it soak in, and reapply....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil
    http://www.amazon.com/Fiebing-Prime-.../dp/B000BQYHL6

Hope this helps,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

member #1515
    73s had vinyl on the wheel. Unless you got an option or maybe European delivery of which some had leather.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I have read about a product sold at Cabella's sporting goods called "Oben auf? (sp?)
    purportedly really penetrates the dried out leather to the point it can be stretched and re-sown.
    Supposedly works well but takes a while.
    Good Luck!
    Peter

steering wheel

Oops, forgot to add....
    Curved Upholstery needles is what you want to buy for this job, your fingers will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    73s had vinyl on the wheel. Unless you got an option or maybe European delivery of which some had leather.
    Very interesting. Well, I can attest that my original factory invoice says "Leatherette Cov. Steering Wheel." However, someone also wrote in by hand on the invoice "Leather interior" - and the seats are leather with the D leather headrest. The wheel sure seems like leather. It has shrunk where the threads broke, and the back side of the cover looks kind of like rough leather. There is no weave backing that I would normally expect on vinyl. I would not expect vinyl to shrink this way. Any other ways to tell?

I guess I can put some of the leather softeners on it and see if they help. Can't hurt if it's actually vinyl.

Oh, I actually have Obenauf's for my xc ski boots. As I recall, it was supposed to be the best - but for protecting. I'll have to see if they have another product for softening.

Thanks all.

There is a product called Leatherique that is supposed to do this... I used it in a BMW interior with fairly good results.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

I saturated my 1973 steering wheel cover with Lexol, wrapped it with saran wrap, and waited a week. Repeated twice. Leather swelled up and looked like new when done.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

For the stitching, I used #5 embroidery thread pulled through beeswax several times. Use the curved needles suggested previously and watch several YouTube videos on cross-stitch and baseball stitching. It's time consuming but is pretty low impact on the technical scale.
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw
    1969 911E ROW Coupe ‘Orangina’
    1968 911 SWT Burgundy Red project