Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunroof repairs question

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    Thanks Jim .......I did finally locate the gentleman who has posted extensively on BMW site ( early cars with the same Golde sunroof) and his work to repair various parts. He even went on to mfg. replacement hinges, springs, blades and the plastic covers for the hinges .
    These are now being sold as part of a repair kit by SM and possibly others.
    He also emailed me directions for disassembly installation of worn broken parts all integral to the wind deflectors .
    Great guy and solved the parts and process to make mine operational
    Hello Frank, I also have a 67 912 sunroof that doesn't work properly, the deflectors don't pop when I open it. Could you please share the disassembly / installation instructions also with me? I have the same issue of Gary, everything is there and looks right but it is like if the deflector spirngs are tired or broken.
    Many thanks

Gianmarco

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    does anyone have experience with repair to the deflector mechanism. The spring actuates a clip which holds the aluminum deflector. How does the clip attached to the spring ( which is oddly wound but ends at the clip attachment point. So when the sunroof moves back to open the spring pressure actuates the clip and associated deflector to the up position. I have broken clips right at the rod attachment.
    Thanks for assistance and referral for someone who has the right and left wind deflectors. Seems the aluminum flat plate can be easily made , but the clip and attachment to the spring seems the issue.
    Thanks
    Frank
    I am posting this in the hope that you can replay and help. I am trying to figure out who you were referring to, "These are now being sold as part of a repair kit by SM and possibly others." I have a broken deflector on my 82 SC and am trying to locate repair parts. Thanks if you can help

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Hi meporsche,

Stan Chamallas (Stan.chamallas@me.com) from the BMW 2002 group manufactures the complete repair kit. Name:  IMG_8996.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  58.1 KB
    And has complete instructions with the parts.
    Frank kindly shared the instructions with me, but do you think I can find the email????

It was over 2 years ago when I completed the repair on my friend’s sunroof. The issue was the torsion spring and specifically the tabs at each end which secured the spring and enabled you to twist and apply torsion to the flap so it would spring up when the sunroof opens. Fiddly, but a clever mechanism when you understand how it works.
    BTW, the sunroof defectors are still operating perfectly.
    Good luck!
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Guys
    Let me know if you need the PDF for repair directions
    Regards
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)