Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring silver and black edges on lenses?

Restoring silver and black edges on lenses?

Hey guys ...
    I would like to restore some VG lenses but the black and sliver is deteriorated in places.
    I have tried to do black with several different techniques with little to no success.
    Interested to know how or who has been able to accomplish.
    Thanks for assistance
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

I tried once, with dismal results...;( anything you do that changes the surface area is magnified when you repaint. Good luck, keep us posted.
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

go to Bird site and check Bodywork forum, there is a post on Silver trim replacement

Jrsully
    Thanks for note will check out.
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

Black is possible , but the original paint needs to be removed , the plastic sanded and polished , and then masked and painted . How badly do you want the Bosch name ?

I went down this road for a couple of hours. Then I went to the Sierra Madre site and gave them my Visa number.

Name:  911 T-Light Lens.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  51.2 KB

The Sierra Madre lenses are very close to perfect. The average person will never know the difference and the PCA judging is so bad it's not even worth considering. Make sure that they include the little rubber gaskets for the attachment bolts. Sometimes they come with the lens and sometimes they don't. You want them.

Richard Newton
    Garage Lighting

Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    The Sierra Madre lenses are very close to perfect. The average person will never know the difference and the PCA judging is so bad it's not even worth considering. Make sure that they include the little rubber gaskets for the attachment bolts. Sometimes they come with the lens and sometimes they don't. You want them.
    I agree the lenses sold by SM are very nice. But I couldn't imagine putting them on one of my best cars. I need to see those 5 little letters - B O S C H. I'm glad I'm not alone in my sickness.

Yes sickness prevails.... Thanks for the comments. At any Porsche car gathering I always find myself looking at various parts, lenses ,tools kits, etc to see the scripts/logos .maybe it's a carry over from the 356 guys who actually do look for date stamps on the back of instruments , rear view mirrors , body stamps behind grilles and even the glass reflectors on the rear of 356 A's. My experience is that these judges do look for those items .
    We each have our philosophy on how to build or restore these cars and all are justified. I just love the hunt for NOS and excellent original items that are 40 years old. They requires effort to restore, replace and refinish it's the labor and final product that makes it worth the effort.
    These were the original parts used to build these cars not much fun to just have the same reproduction part as the car setting next to you from whoever reproduced the item. Even the Porsche Klassic parts are mostly a far cry from the originals.
    Maybe it's just part of the story of the car that will pass on for some time. Also the value of a barn find in information and the rewards for the finder.
    Thanks for all thoughts
    Frank
    Thanks
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

BTW ..LivefromNY....why are you living in Austin Texas....?
    Usually there is an association ...
    Do enjoy the tag.
    Regard
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    BTW ..LivefromNY....why are you living in Austin Texas....?
    Long story...

But I'm no different than most of us in Austin: "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as quick as I could".