Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found Numbers Matching 2.4 Engine - Need Rebuild Advice

Found Numbers Matching 2.4 Engine - Need Rebuild Advice

With an incredible stroke of luck, I found the numbers matching engine to my 72T listed for sale here and bought it. What are the odds? My goal is to rebuild the 2.4 engine and reunite it with my car. I found a receipt showing that the engine was swapped out about 24 years ago and it looks to be in rough shape but the case appears salvageable. Fortunately, the car currently has a correct 2.4T MFI engine that runs pretty well. The plan is to refurbish the numbers matching case and combine it with all the other components from the running engine currently in the car.

Since I’m going to do a total rebuild, does it make sense to rebuild it to “S” specs (190hp) instead of just sticking with “T” specs (140hp)? I like to enjoy some spirited driving from time to time but want to make sure that the extra 50hp is worth all the mods required including new P/Cs, camshaft, MFI tweaks, and adding a front oil cooler. I'd like to know that I'll feel and appreciate the difference before taking this more costly path. I found this Car-and-Driver article comparing the 1972 911 T vs E vs S but it confused more than it clarified:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

C&D is saying that the torque curve is positioned "low and full in the T and high and peaky in the S." Which is more fun to drive?

It would be great if you could share your thoughts on “T” vs “S” specs for this 2.4 rebuild.

Thanks, ---Tom

Don't forget the larger intake stacks, the larger throttle bodies, and the larger port sizes. Basically every part but the crank and case is different. As to which is the most fun to drive I'd have to say each in its own venue, since I have both. However, if I could only have one I'd always take the 'S'.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'd rebuild to E specs, more HP but the nice bottom end pull of a T motor. I've owned a bunch of S's and love them but not inexpensive to build a S motor these days.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Wait a second, that doesn't make any sense to me. Why take the original motor and then alter it to an unoriginal status when you already have a non original motor you can build any way you want and not affect value?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    Wait a second, that doesn't make any sense to me. Why take the original motor and then alter it to an unoriginal status when you already have a non original motor you can build any way you want and not affect value?
    Ding, Ding winner, winner chicken dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    +3
    Build a stock motor with the matching case and bag it, then build a hot rod motor with the non matching case...
    I have the exact same dilemma and that is what I'm doing.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    +3
    Build a stock motor with the matching case and bag it, then build a hot rod motor with the non matching case...
    I have the exact same dilemma and that is what I'm doing.
    H
    Yep, this is the way to go.
    Also, FWIW there are many other non-S options out there (high compression 2.4S, 2.7RS, 2.5SS.........). Different cams + P&C will give you a totally different experience. Not cheap of course...
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Thanks for the feedback and great advice. I was originally going to make this car "sports purpose" when I bought it with a non-matching numbers engine. After buying the original engine I changed plans and thought it best to rebuild and reunite it with the car. It's always a slippery slope... why not boost performance while we've got everything apart? How hard could it be? Haha.

It turns out to cost 1.5x-2.0x to build an "S" spec vs "T" spec so I wanted to make sure it was worth it. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to get a return from my investment. I just want to make sure I get twice as much fun out of it for twice the price.

I like Harvey's idea which gives you the best of both worlds. I think I'll focus on the stock 2.4T rebuild for now and look at options for a 2nd higher performance non-matching engine.

---Tom

The 2.4 T motor would take way too many changes to bring it to S specs, to make it cost effective. Just bag the original motor as is, so if you ever sell the car you can say it comes with it's original engine. You say you like spirited driving eh? Put a carbureted 3.0 SC motor in there, it makes a great combo with an early LWB chassis, and is dead nuts reliable. Plus you should already have a 915 box in the 72 car.
    1969 911 E #824

My car came with an old time build.
    2.4T heads with stock ports,
    S cams
    2.2 S P/C (you could use aftermarket)
    Webers
    Sport muffler
    With the small ports, the power comes on earlier than big ports and its peak HP is still 7100...easily pulling to 7300.
    Makes more HP than a 2.4 S and is cheaper to build. Driven it 13 years and I wouldn't change a thing.
    (dynoed the same as a 3.0 SC with Webers)
    H