Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type of plastic in Carrera RS 85-litre fuel tank

Type of plastic in Carrera RS 85-litre fuel tank

Anyone who knows? I can not find any info stamped on the tank. Polyethylene?

There is a minor crack in it where fuel seeps out. Can any type of glue, silicone or similar be used to repair it?
    Last edited by Einar Irgens; 09-02-2015 at 11:05 AM.

There are several companies out there that make a product that you dump into the tank, slosh around, and then dump out, and let it dry. There is a little more to it than that, but it is very doable. I did my brothers 67 912 and it has worked leak free for a couple years. I believe the instructions say it works on plastic and fiberglass.

Quote Originally Posted by Einar Irgens View Post
    Anyone who knows? I can not find any info stamped on the tank. Polyethylene?

There is a minor crack in it where fuelt seeps out. Can any type of glue, silicone or similar be used to repair it?
    I bought a tank with (fully disclosed) radial cracking on the outlet spigots. I assumed I could find a source for plastic welding to fix it, but was unable to. I used a combination of aneroebic sealant and specially-cut stainless washers to go under the fuel fittings and was able to totally stop fuel seepage.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

See if it is possible find the Technical Control Authority (TÜV) approval papers referred to here if you really want to know the material, properties and repair procedures for something that is safety critical item. Especially component that might leak fuel and emit highly combustible vapours into your RS.

This picture / caption is from an original Porsche Development Center Engineering Services document that I have among my cars history files. Unfortunately does not specify the material. (An interesting, nicely produced/photographed - possibly quite rare - KG booklet promoting their business to business product development and engineering competencies. Undated but apparently published circa 1972 based on the presence of KG mark plus other clues in contents/ photos):

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  77.3 KB

This may be of help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

A few years ago I had a similar issue; I developed a crack in the plastic at the fuel inlet opening just outside of the steel thread insert. There was a Corning product that supposedly worked for minor issues like this, I can't recall the number (it was Corning XXX, I think). Scott Hendry had a tube of it and kept it in his refrigerator at the shop. I ended up getting a new issue gas tank as I was concerned about the safety aspect. I also looked into seeing if there was a plastic weld solution, but I came up dry. Nobody was willing to try it. Maybe search Corning....
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

The tank is made of polyethylene. The type is "Lupolen". This plastic is not anymore. The follow-up type is "Hostalen". The manufacturer is http://www.lyondellbasell.com/Techno...gies/Hostalen/

Thanks a lot for good information.

Einar

btw . . I do know someone having one for sale . .
    any idea how much is the value of it?

best regards
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo