Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the getting VERY old 15 inch tire search

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

the getting VERY old 15 inch tire search

Time for new tires…
    205 55 15 on the front AND 225 50 15 on the back.

Searched here, Pelican, Tirerack, Coker, Dunlop, and Goodyear websites…

Who is using what now?

Does this mean I need to purchase 16" Fuchs just to get tires???
    Just go straight to 17's since 16" tires are getting scarce?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Lightbulb

Ray,

I take it your referring to your black flared hot rod.........

Well, you might have to do what I finally did.... Go with 225 x 50 x 15's on all 4's, on 7's and 8's ...

I've been running TOYO RA-1's for everything (Thank you Miata performance folks) for years. When they're 'fresh' they work OK in the damp (not rain) and when they're not so fresh they stick even better.....

My car has NEVER handled better, should have done the four corner switch WAY before I finally did....

Oh, I drive my car pretty aggressively for about 6000 miles a year.... The rears are just about done by then......

Some say my car looks a bit odd with 'big' tires in front.... I'm used to the look... Here's a profile shot... you be the judge........

My .02

Cheers bud,
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

same problem - went with Dunlop Direzzas after the demise of the great SO-3s

I ran the same setup as Chucks for years on my lightweight - I refer to it as a 'square' configuration - same size tires front and rear, using 7's in front and 8's in back. Worked great - when I tried larger rears for comparison, the car felt like a steamroller - didn't want to turn.

I saw this commimg. I went to 16's four years ago when 6x16's were inexpensive. Not anymore. SWB long hoods, 914's, and the folks that want to turn them into 17's are grabbing them up and they have tripled in price since I picked up as many as I could find back then. I had a 1/2 inch added to the rears. Now 6 1/2's. I had some 911R 16's made by adding a inch but I couldn't make the tire fit so I sold them to someone who had a LWB car.I had them cosmetically altered to look as close to a 15 as I could. Al Reed at the time looked at me and said, " I've never had anyone ask to do this before." You guys would notice something was different, but most Porsche folks just assume they're 15's.
    There are still many VR 16's out there for the 6, 7, 8, and 9's.
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Ray,

I take it your referring to your black flared hot rod.........

Well, you might have to do what I finally did.... Go with 225 x 50 x 15's on all 4's, on 7's and 8's ...

I've been running TOYO RA-1's for everything (Thank you Miata performance folks) for years. When they're 'fresh' they work OK in the damp (not rain) and when they're not so fresh they stick even better.....

My car has NEVER handled better, should have done the four corner switch WAY before I finally did....

Oh, I drive my car pretty aggressively for about 6000 miles a year.... The rears are just about done by then......

Some say my car looks a bit odd with 'big' tires in front.... I'm used to the look... Here's a profile shot... you be the judge........

My .02

Cheers bud,
    Chuck
    What do they know??....looks right to me

Ray

I just bought Toyo R1Rs and mounted them on 15 7s and 8s. So far, I am pleased with them. Much harsher ride than 60 series tires but 60 series tires virtually don't exist in a performance tire, anymore.
    I'm running 205 X 50 x 15 on the 7s and 225 x 45 x 15 ON THE 8s on the rear of my flared, brown, rat rod. Can't wait for our SPD day to really put them to the test and see if I can keep Chuck in sight.

Ciao

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 09-02-2015 at 01:47 PM. Reason: corrected tire type

BFG also has a G-Force in 205/50 225/45 x 15.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Have you checked out Coker Tires? www.Cokertire.com
    I chatted up the Michelin stop at the Werks Reunion, and they sent their vintage stuff to Coker. You can get the original 185/70/15's from them if you want them.

If you go to 205s in the front, Tire Rack alone has 5 different choices....
    The 205/55 never caught on in the industry as well as the 205/50.
    H