Thread: Broken seat cable

Broken seat cable

Gentlemen...

I'm finally down the stretch with getting both of my seats completely re-done from a local vendor here in Dallas and it appears I've hit a roadblock. So I'm turning here for assistance.

It appears that the cable responsible for gaining access to the rear seats is broken. Does anyone know a way of repairing this without having to purchase an entire seat assembly mechanism?

Here's the whole shebang.

Broken!

That nuclear green line is where the cable should be.

While we're on the topic of seats...does anyone have an extra 2 plastic spacers (on right) they would be able to give/sell me? I also need an extra stainless steel cap (on left) for the seat as well.

E: It's for the passenger seat on my '69.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Since you're in Dallas you can probably find the solutions at Elliot's hardware. For example bulk steel cable of the right size that will fit thru the cable housing, then uncrimp those ends, install the cable and recrimp. There are many sizes of plastic spacers to choose from.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

You could also try Jim Breazeale

He is on this site. Also at EASY in Emeryville, CA.
    (510) 653-3279 info@easypor.com

Wouldn't be surprised if he had one.
    Last edited by 72targa; 09-03-2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Corrected address
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Ed,

How do I uncrimp the end of the cable that's broken? Can I apply heat to loosen it up?

Fortunately, Elliot's Hardware is pretty close to the house so I'll go check there for the spacers and cap.

If neither of these options work, I'll seek out Jim at EASY.

Thanks!

-Rick

WOO-HOO!

Placed a call to Jim at EASY and he was able to find all the parts almost entirely while on the phone with me. What a cool guy. Will definitely call on him again for parts.

Good,,,,that's the best way, but just remember that good hardware stores have all kinds of stuff for creative solutions!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.