Thread: Help with transmission issue - 1971 911T

Help with transmission issue - 1971 911T

Hello all. I have a 1971 911T that I've been using as a daily driver. It has a 4 speed transmission. I'm seeking help or advice as to what the issue could be as I'll have to tow it to my mechanic.

Starting a couple of months ago, the car would sometimes grind going into 1st or reverse from a stop. This would only happen after I'd been driving the car for at least 30 minutes or so, and the car was really warmed up. I found that if I shifted into 1st while rolling to a stop, the grinding did not happen, and if I was stopped, pumping the clutch a few times usually worked to not have the gear grind into 1st. So I figured maybe the clutch needed attention.

Yesterday, driving home from a long drive, I started to experience difficulty shifting from 2nd into 3rd. At first, I was able to shift into 3rd, but I felt resistance that normally I don't feel. Then, the revs went out of control, as if I had just shifted into 1st! I immediately went to neutral, and after much cursing and fidgeting, was able to get the lever to go back to 2nd.

A few more miles down the road (and a half mile away from home) I had to come to a complete stop. Ok, shift into 1st. I start to move forward, or at least intended to - only to find I'm going in reverse! I look down at the stick, and yes it's forward and in the normal position for it to be 1st!

I was able to finally get going again, and I limped home, staying in 1st and 2nd. I was unable to shift into 3rd again. What the heck is wrong?
    - Barhin

1971 911T Targa, Registry Member # 3280

What's the maintenance history on the tranny? Last oil change? Is it full of oil? Have you taken off the inspection cover on the center tunnel at the back and checked for play in the shift coupler?
    1971 911T - 3.0L with PMO's - Light Ivory - Gretchen

It sounds like you might have a few different issues.

Difficulty finding the correct gear is a shift linkage problem. If it just began doing this, something has come loose or is falling apart.
    Check the shift coupler, set screw and other linkage bushings.

Gear grinding is a clutch release or synchro issue (except in reverse, which is not synchronized).
    If you cannot engage reverse (engine at idle, car not moving) without grinding, you have a clutch issue.
    If you cannot prevent reverse grinding by adjusting the clutch cable, then you have to determine why the clutch won't release completely.
    Start there.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Hi.With the description of your shifting problems You need anew clutch assy and you most likely damagded your two shifter rod couplings. The one at the shifter and the one at the end of shift rod .Those are plastic. With age they will get brittle and break up.The best advise an old friend of mine told me years ago the Porsche gear boxes did not work if the clutch was not fully dissangaged for proper gear selection. It work for me over the years. Frankie.

Later cars also have a 3rd plastic bushing on an L-shaped metal carrier that will come out when you remove the shifter - yours may have that also.

I'd check the Bowden tube curvature or whatever the real name of that setup is...

That's the easy & cheap stuff...

I had the same thing recently and it was the forward round bushing, the one on the L bracket right behind the shifter. Easy fix. Hardest part is getting the tunnel carpet out/in.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Your clutch is bad.
    It was not disengaging the engine from the transmission and that is why it was hard to shift. The disc is probably coming apart and dragging and it is also not holding that is why you can rev it in gear and not go.
    Like other have said you might have linkage issues too. But your main problem is your clutch.
    Tucson AZ.