Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: high pitched whine on high speed corners

high pitched whine on high speed corners

I can definitely hear this when turning left. Many miles ago I wasn't sure what I was hearing, but it may have gotten louder.

I suspect the wheel bearings but the wheel does not move when rocked at 6:00 Noon or at 3 & 9. It is also definitely not a rumble, but a large number of squeaks could produce this whine.

I don't have any service records from PO's mentioning wheel bearings and I have not taken them apart since I bought the car (15 years ago & less than 10,000 miles ago). I _do_ know they are no older than 1984, since the car has Carrera front struts on it.

Any ideas?

Why not just take them apart and inspect them, there may not even be any grease left in them.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I was hoping to drive the car for a change. But I am now trying to get the dust cap off...

BTW - besides that oil seal O-ring is there anything that will always have to be replaced after an inspection?

Nope,,,,just the grease seal.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Banned
    It's pretty rare for a front wheel bearing to make a high pitched whine, but obviously not impossible.
    Make sure the brake pad divider plate isn't contacting the rotor during your initial inspection.

ok, How do I get the dust cap off? Big pliers did not work & can't do much with hammer and/or chisel. These are Boge struts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Unless you have a "real man's" pair of Channel Locks (20"+ long) place a large heel bar or large round shank screwdriver (again; Man size) in the groove at a slight angle and whack the crap out of it (without hitting a stud!). Work your way around. It'll come off.

Thanks! That's what I tried - the pliers have flat jaws tho. I'll try a screwdriver, chisel or wrecking bar next.

Do these look to be the right grease seals? No dealer here and trying to not lose too much driving time this summer, so I tried CarQuest.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Brass bar stock works really well too (lol, just what everyone has lying around.)

We use the steel backed 944 seals.(477 405 641?)
    Is there a size on the new seal?

the adapter for a floor jack worked perfectly

the O.D. on that seal is a tad over 6 cm - sound about right?