Thread: R.I.P. Dick Guldstrand

R.I.P. Dick Guldstrand

Racer, tuner, friend, Mr. Corvette, and all round great guy Dick Guldstrand passed away yesterday at 87..... I am very sad
    http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...rand-1927-2015

He was the last to move his shop out of the legendary 'Thunder Alley'

I meet him about 20 years ago.... He came to work every day till about five years ago.........

He put a close but clean move on a buddy of mine in his old '63 Vette at the 'corkscrew' at the Historics only about 8 years ago that my friend still smiles about....

- A period photo Davey Jordan give me of his friend Dick in that very same '63 at Santa Barbara road races.....

Some pics I took:

- Dick and Ed Iskenderian
    - Dick checking out my Malbiu
    - Dick at the Boy's Republic show a few years ago

What'a guy............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 09-03-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

“Either you were a hot-rodder or you were a candy ass!” Dick Guldstrand 1927-2015

R.I.P.

He was a gentleman and one of the most humble. unpretentious guys I've dealt with in the aftermarket business. RIP
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Interesting to see where his mom & dad saw him in his future. RIP to a legend.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2015/...the-age-of-88/
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Banned
    180mph and brakes that were a joke.
    "Mulsanne stain in my shorts".
    “Either you were a hot-rodder or you were a candy ass!”

LOL. How can you not love that!

Old school tell-it-like-it is hero.

Guys like this are going to be a thing of the past pretty soon. Here's to hoping his legacy lives on.

Thumbs up

For those that are into it.... I think the best Corvette racing book out there is Dave Friedman's 'Corvette Thunder 50 years of Corvette Racing 1953-2003' forward by Dick Guldstrand.

A few out of this book:

- '63 - Dick coming out of turn 6 at Riverside trying to stay ahead of Bondurant...

- Willow '68 - Ramsey's Vette ahead of Bill young's Elan, Scooter Patrick's first Shelby Toyota 2000, Davey Jordan's former Vasek '67S here driven by Milt Minter, and Davey in the second Toyota ..... I was lucky enough to be at that race

- LaMans '71 - And always 911's...... Dick used to say 'those pesky little things were everywhere'

GREAT book...... Great guy
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Riverside '63 in his Z-06 roadster, which he alone recognized as being superior to the coupe for its lower CG.

Note the Brand X tee shirt worn in the paddock at the same event.

Bondurant-Guldstrand-MacDonald-Miles are on the cover of Mike Antonick's great book California Screamin'

RIP
    Last edited by Flunder; 09-04-2015 at 03:10 PM.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

I met Mr. Guldstrand for the first time back in the 70s when he prepared a Super Duty Trams Am for me. Those were great days-a Guldstrand prepped car, A Traco engine and Simpson safety gear-all procured from Thunder Alley.
    That Trans Am was great fun-even more so when it was out running my friends in the Ferrari and Porsche club events at Riverside Raceway.
    Over the years I had Guldstrand Engineering assist with my various projects. Mr. Guldstrand was always incredibly helpful and willing to expend the same amount of time with you whether you were a big bucks race team or a single enthusiast trying to have fun on a budget. I asked him to sign the dash of my 67 Corvette at Monterey a couple years ago and he still remembered my and my projects. I treasure that time spent with a true automotive legend and one og the nicest guys in the industry.

DSC_0791.jpgIMG_20150909_112654418.jpg
    67 911 , 69 911S, Ford V Ferrari 906LH, 85 Carrera...and-gasp! a bunch of Corvettes, Musclecars and Italian crap(330GTC,GTA/M,308GTB)

EarlyS # 603, GroupV #2

I worked with Dick Guldstrand for a full week along with Jackie Stewart, and Nils Mickelson as the drivers back in the early 1990s when Bridgestone was trying to get PORSCHE as a client. They were doing tire testing...

We were at Riverside Raceway and I brought out a 1986 930 Turbo, a 928GTS and two 944s... Bridgestone sent around 700 different "Experimental Tires"... Each tire had special compounds and 100s of new tread patterns...

Tire testing was NOT a perfect science back then it was all trial and error... Not sure if much has changed either in todays computer driven world??

Back then they would put a set of the "Experimental Tires" on a car and run hot laps. The drivers were timed running hot laps and they gave their feedback. Then they would change the tires sometimes mixing up different compounds and/or tread designs on the same car... "Why don't we try this" you would hear the "Tire Technical Engineers" say to each other...

As it turns out Bridgestone Prevailed and PORSCHE started putting Bridgestone tires on their cars... So did Ferrari etc.

My Mercedes SL65 AMG came with Bridgestones also...