Thread: 73 RS and several racecars from Today's Porsche Classics at the Castle 2015 UK

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

73 RS and several racecars from Today's Porsche Classics at the Castle 2015 UK

Below a very small selection of what was on display today Headingham Castle in Essex, England, a Norman motte-and-bailey castle with a stone keep constructed in the late 11th Century...

IMG_2774.jpgIMG_2788.jpgIMG_2775.jpgIMG_2777.jpg

Thanks for posting these photos. I hope you have more to share.

This event has always intrigued me from across the pond.

Nice weather!
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Nick Faure at event today & taking the 73 RS model to its first ever win

British racing driver Nick Faure won the first race that any MY 1973 2.7 Carrera RS won in March 1973 at Croft Autodrome in North East England. This was in the company '72 RHD M472 Touring British Market demonstrator because the RS M471 that was on order for racing had not arrived in time for the first race in the series.

IMG_2743.jpg

2015-02-20.jpg

Nick was photographed today at the Porsche Classics at the Castle event alongside the very same RS in which he launched the model's many successes by winning that Croft race. The car now privately owned.

Coincidentally Nick sold me a similar RS back in the early 1990s - another of the rare first-500 series right-hand-drive RS that was also built in 1972. He took me for a demonstration drive around the Surrey country lanes near to his dealership. Suffice to say I was hooked

Nick and several "friends" in pit lane at Silverstone for British GP. Can't recall which year exactly, but I just snapped them when passing... image.jpg
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-26-2016 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post

Nice weather!
    This is an excellent Classic Porsche event and possibly something that could be planned to combine with the Goodwood Revival and the Beaulieu National Motor Museum/International Autojumble event to make a classic car petrol-head UK indulgence, especially if traveling all the way across the pond.

Classic-cars, Museum of Motoring, Auctions, Medieval Castles / Aristocratic Ancestral venues, dressing-up period-style with full-on classic car battles on a historic racetrack (and an airfield with classic planes)... all combined. What is not to like?
    Last edited by 911MRP; 09-06-2015 at 04:53 PM.

great pics - any more out there ??
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post

Nice weather!
    If you get the opportunity its a must ... been to a couple while on trips back to the homeland
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.

Sharing a few more views from Classics at the Castle Headingham Event in Essex

Nick,

As requested a few more shots from Headingham. Fred and the whole team do a fantastic job organising this event. Give me a shout if you are back on UK for this event next year would be good to meet. I do remember you being a director of PCGB and having a black RS but that was a many years ago when the late David Gillhooley was RS register secretary.

IMG_2780.jpgIMG_2781.jpgIMG_2783.jpgIMG_2791.jpgIMG_2789.jpgIMG_2762.jpgIMG_2763.jpgIMG_2764.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 911MRP; 09-23-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Well, nice display that you have seen.
    Do you know the identities of the 2.8 RSR, 3.0 RS, 3.0 RSR and the 917?

I have once had the opportunity to follow a 3.0 RS on a small British road with my 928 CS. This is something I will always remember

Sorry 928cs, not offhand I don't know chassis numbers, but probably identities can be established with the knowledgable crowd here since the registration plates are mostly visible.

Many of the RS in British ownership (and a few others) were published by Mr Starkeys book around the mid nineties - that list of owners and some registrations is long out of date except for those in long term ownership.

A 73 RSR 2.8 with upgrade 3.0 RSR engine resides at the place kind enough to pay me to work in F1.

Went for a run about one year ago to give it some exercise around the narrow British country lanes - that RSR was probably the cheapest, slowest and quietest race car of the many historical racecars onsite. Made some nice noises however. Its owner has an ST too I think but have not seen that one
    Last edited by 911MRP; 09-23-2015 at 05:44 PM.