Thread: 2.2S Engine....

2.2S Engine....

I'm not a great fan of the 'get an idea on value' threads of which many are posted just to solicit offers without actually stating a price.

This thread is kinda of a similar vein, and for that I apologise, although I'm not hiding the fact that ultimately (probably) I'll be looking to sell an engine!

As my current engine build developed I eventually found myself with a stack of valuable 2.2S parts surplus to requirements.....long story short; I agreed a deal that would provide me with the missing parts that had been used (cases, crank etc) enabling me to build another 2.2S engine.

The plan was to run a detailed step-by-step build thread with multiple photos (partly because I enjoy that) to enhance the value of the engine which I would then eventually put up for sale........however after 5 solid years of restorations I'm not sure I have the stomach for another project and I'm having second thoughts!

The question is.......is the engine as desirable as a batch of disassembled parts or would there be a much greater market value if the engine was indeed fully rebuilt?

This is on the basis of a complete original 2.2S engine with all 19070MY date-matched parts in top order, the rebuild by a top highly respected early 911 engine builder with everything done, i.e. line honed, shuffle pinned, time cert heads, boat tailed etc.etc?

I appreciate the feedback

And btw, please don't consider me rude but I won't respond to any PM's.....once I've decided the best route to go I'll place an ad with a price in the for sale section.

Cheers,

Darren, your engine is probably worth not that much... I'll pay for crating ans shipping if you need to make some room...

Joke aside, leave it to the next owner to plan and comit the rebuild with the specs he will want. DOn't think you'll recoup your investment.

As for a price, I've seen complete engines offered for 20k€, in running condition. But not sure they sold at this price.

Olivier.

The problem with buying a box of parts that can be used to build an engine, is that you don't really know the condition of said parts. I would prefer to buy individual parts with a guarantee that they are in tolerance.

I feel more comfortable building my own engine, then I would know for sure its condition.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I think I've got a pretty good idea as to value although ultimately the parts/engine are worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them!

If sold as components the plan is to clean, photograph, measure and provide a spec sheet for every item.....I can see the appeal of this for some although I would have thought a fully documented and guaranteed 'plug and play' rebuilt engine by a top professional would have a greater market?

Another thought was to sell in two batches.....pay me 'X' for my engine and pay a fixed cost 'Y' to the engine guy for a build to a guaranteed spec which would then allow for changes if the new owner so desired?.....

......as I type I'm wondering if I'm just over complicating things and maybe I should just put everything on a shelf, pause for a couple of years, take a deep breath and then find a sound SWB shell and build a nice simple light SWB hot rod with a 2.2S MFI engine......impure and dirty!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    . . . maybe I should just put everything on a shelf, pause for a couple of years, take a deep breath and then find a sound SWB shell and build a nice simple light SWB hot rod . . .
    Been 3 years, now, soooo . . .

. . . how 'd all this turn-out?

Did you sell the engine on as bits? . . . or assembled? . . .

. . . or at all?

We Can Be Heroes

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    ../.. take a deep breath and then find a sound SWB shell and build a nice simple light SWB hot rod with a 2.2S MFI engine......impure and dirty!
    That is it. Next.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

I find myself in a similar position to Darren. I ve a 1975 2687cc built to MFI RS spec and got it disassembled for a report and photos. It’s good and like Darren I think it might make a better price and be better for the buyer if I had it rebuilt and running.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Did you sell the engine on as bits? . . . or assembled? . . . or at all?
    ....lol , it's been a while and I've collected a couple more engines (2.4E MFI and 2.4T CIS) in the meantime but funnily enough I was speaking to my engine builder just before Christmas and discussed getting the 2.2S built in 2019.....

....I've decided that when it's time to slow down, sell the toys and choose just one car to see me through until the end it's going to be a very simple black modified SWB with a 2.2S in the back; so this particular engine is a keeper.......in fact I very tempted when offered a 68 project car recently but had already purchased this......

...which I plan to turn into this.....

....for now the SWB and 2.2S are dreams for the future whilst I scratch my fat arse itch!

Happy New Year