Thread: Project Car Insurance

Project Car Insurance

It was going to be a six-month project. When the registration came due the car was still on jack stands. In an effort to be frugal you didn’t renew the registration. Surprise. That car is no longer insured.

Here's the article that explains some things you should be aware of.

Richard Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    It was going to be a six-month project. When the registration came due the car was still on jack stands. In an effort to be frugal you didn’t renew the registration. Surprise. That car is no longer insured.

This one is an issue for me (not trying to be frugal), couldn't figure out what to do... Any advice from the board ? When I moved from FL I left behind a project car at the shop that was painting it. I let registration on it lapse recently because I did not think I could re-register it in FL (I no longer live there and it's insured under a CA policy with the rest of the cars which did make the move). I cannot register it in CA either (yet) because they want to inspect out of state cars first (and it's not here yet)... What are you *supposed* to do ??? I was going to register it here when it got delivered (still a few months away), classic ins. has not complained at renewal time. If the above is true, that means I'm uninsured, then I'm paying for nothing...

[edit] I contacted Hagerty and they "could" move that car back to a FL policy, registered or not... Not sure if that impacts the cost. But after talking to the agent and explaining the car is coming over shortly, he recommended I do nothing and leave it under CA insurance and I'll be OK. So registered or not, they are covering the car. That contradicts the original post, I have it in writing... so I'll let it be ! (I don't mean to imply the original post is bad advice, I'm sure it's good, and it's adviseable to inquire.. Hagerty seems cool with it though)
    Last edited by Greg D.; 09-11-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Not sure what you are trying to insure the car for. When I took my car off the road for restoration, Haggerty had a cheap insurance policy that covers my car from damage or fire while it is sitting unregistered. If it gets damaged while in the garage or shop I am covered, just no liability for driving.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

I was responding to the original post which implied that if the car is unregistered, the insurance is invalid. In hagerty's case it is not the case as you know and as I have just found out ;-)
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

I have both Hagerty and Chubb policies and both insure cars not registered.