Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need vin# help!

Need vin# help!

On this old race car I bought with no title, I foolishly applied for a bonded title using that Cal. assigned number and now have a bonded title. Great it says it is a 1970 911S
    NOW I look for the hidden number and find out it does not match the assigned number, I know dumb on my part. but what to do now?
    The Cal. assigned # is 9110300069
    the hidden # is 1000152 or 1000052, it has been over stamped on one production digit.
    The trunk latch sheet metal was missing ( from a wreck) with the vin plate. The stamped vin# by the smugglers box was partily cut away but 9110 can be seen, I think?
    I can not find information on the hidden # 1000152 to help what this car is. Other than a 71 coupe, but what is the engine? it should have a 1 2 or 3 instead it has a 0? What am I missing?
    It looks overstamped on the production digits?
    This seems to be a typical old race car that is made up of a lot of parts.
    What is going on here? help would be great, Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tucson AZ.

close up of Cal. #
    Tucson AZ.

# 2991
    The number stamped under the knee-bar does not correspond to the VIN.
    It is just a code for the body.

1 = standard production body
    0 = coupe
    0 = 1970 model year
    0052 or 0152 = body produced, regardless of T, E or S

Your partial VIN 9110... would also indicate that it is a 1970

Fritz, from what little I know about production numbers I would have read that as a 1970 coupe #0152. No distinction from that number as to what the car would ultimately be.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Might also wanna check the number on the edge of the trans tunnel access . . .

. . . then maybe ping the Faktory Museum + see if anyone can verify anything

We Can Be Heroes

I've found the factory quite helpful but they will only go up to a point and that's a bit shy of telling you want VIN goes with the production number. They will just say that VIN matches that production number or that it doesn't. They won't tell you what the VIN should be.
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Fritz
    I would assume the production number is 152 rather than 052 and as a start assume the vin number is as stamped on the replacement plate. Then ask Porsche to confirm that the production number matches the vin number. If they say yes you have hit the jackpot. If no you are no worse off. But given the low number on that s vin I think there is a real possibility of a match
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Once again, this is a great community and source for information, Thanks All!
    I will try and get information from Porsche next as suggested.
    Tucson AZ.

Are you sure that the over stamped number is a 1, not a 7. I think it is a 1 but I dont have any photos of the font used for a 7 for production numbers in 1970. If the say no to 152 I would ask about 752 - tell them that it looks like the person stamping at the factory made a mistake and stamped one to many zeros and then over stamped so the number is harder to decipher.

The only reason I suggest that is that 152 is a low number even to match against S #69 and I am aware of a ST with a lower S vin number than yours but with a production number of 291. I do think that 152 is in the ballpark for S #69 though and the ST probably went through a different production process which may account for a part of the mismatch - the most likely reason for mismatch is in looking at a couple of series of other production numbers versus vin numbers that I have had access to there can be a mismatch of Vin v production number by over one hundred units for consecutive vin or production numbers (which is why it is almost impossible to guess them and why Porsche will not give out the other one if you provide only one number)
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

FWiW . . .

. . . I included pics of any relevant details with my request for information --- along with proof of my ownership . . . when I contacted the Museum

HtH

We Can Be Heroes