Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing gear shift lever

Removing gear shift lever

Before I break something, will some kind soul tell me how to remove the gear shift lever from the base? I want to refinish the lever.

Thanks, in advance.
    Jerry G

"Confidence is the feeling you
    have before you fully understand
    the situation."

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Remove complete shift assembly. Disassemble and refinish any or all parts. G

Shift Knob Maker
    Taking apart is not the tricky part, remove some C-clips and pins. Take pictures to help with reassembly, it is a little tricky because you have to compress the springs and hld them while you get the pins slid in place. Hard to explain in words.

Mark..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  DSC00477.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  135.4 KB

Once you get it to this point, you pop off the plastic cup, remove the two long pins inside the springs (parts will fly!) and then the rest of the disassembly is straight forward. Getting the springs back in place takes some creative thinking.

Name:  DSC09027.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  112.9 KB

SV

I use along thin punch to go thru the housing hole, then into the spring which bend in a loop then use the long punch to straighten and hold the spring in place while you insert the pin slowly pushing the punch out.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I bought a $50 Stahlwille screwdriver and ground $45 off the tip like this:

From another thread here:

Mysteries of Shifter R&R

Wear safety goggles.

Work in a confined space so that when the spring fires across the room (it will) you can find it again.

Do not work near children, domestic animals or anything that cannot withstand a direct hit from a 3/8" diameter spring with enough tension to open your garage door. This includes your 911.

Have something magnetic handy to catch the circlips that go on the end of the pins when they fly loose.

Coat everything in grease so that it becomes impossible to hold your $10 screwdriver with $5 ground off the tip or your something magnetic handy.

Nobody completes the job on the first try. Everyone completes it on the second. Therefore, when you get up the motivation to do this project, go inside and watch the Olympics.

END OF MYSTERIES
    http://test.early911sregistry.org/fo...ifter-Assembly
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    I bought a $50 Stahlwille screwdriver and ground $45 off the tip like this:
    That image is from the factory shop manual. It also works with an $ 8 screwdriver from Home Depot--just get a really big screwdriver!

Here's the Factory Procedure:

DISASSEMBLING AND REASSEMBLING GEARSHIFT BASE 21 RA

Reassembly:

Note the following points at reassembly:

1. Place the plastic spring seat onto the shift lever spring so that the plastic seat snaps into the spring,

2. Coat the lower part of the gearshift lever well with Lithium grease (multipurpose grease) and insert onto the gearshift base.

3. Place 1 pin retainer on each of the two pins which guide the gearshift stop plate.

4. The gearshift thrust springs may be mounted as follows:

a. Install gearshift stop plate in gearshift base by installing 1 guide pin.

b. Place the second guide pin and retainer in position at an angle and slip the spring on.

c. Using a modified screwdriver, press the thrust spring into proper position.

CAUTION: The spring can jump out.

Name:  Shift_Lever_Fig_135.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  175.0 KB
    Fig. 135

Modified Screwdriver
    Name:  Shift_Lever_Fig_136.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  98.2 KB
    Fig.136

d. Push the guide pin through and install the pin retainer.

e. Install the other thrust spring in the same way.

5. Coat the springs as well as the ball end of the shift rod with Lithium grease (multipurpose grease), and install the plastic ball socket with the help of a hammer.

Following the factory procedure it's still a difficult job, but I have succeeded twice.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    That image is from the factory shop manual.
    Ach! The gallery who sold it to me claimed it was an original Roy Lichtenstein!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Ach! The gallery who sold it to me claimed it was an original Roy Lichtenstein!
    Doubtless why you started with an original Stahwille.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Here is my $7.00 screwdriver. It's helpfull to have a second pair of hands to hold the the rag over the spring and to hold the spring down as you pull the screwdriver out.