Thread: September '15 Canepa Cars & Coffee

September '15 Canepa Cars & Coffee

After two solid weeks of enduring daily 100+ temperatures, yesterday the weather finally broke and returned to somewhat more normal levels, just in time to allow driving our old unairconditiomned Porsches to the penultimate Canepa C&C of the year.

I have alternate travel plans for the final meeting the second Saturday in October so this will be my final Canepa post this year.

Since Ruiprecht was still clean and shiny from the thorough preparation I subjected it to prior to its outing to the Motorsports Reunion, I couldn't come up with a single reason not to call a gooid friend and invite him to join me in the drive to Scotts Valley to see all the cars in the shop being prepped for Rennsport V.

I took some photos there, not my best I must admit, and nowhere near the number I usually post since the light was somewhat murky and less than ideal, and I spend most of the morning chatting with friends I hadn't seen in a while, but also since my friend and I both had plans to attend a local neighborhood Car show in the town next to us on the same day ( if interested, please see my other thread of today - "11th annual Orinda Classic Car Show" ).

Canepa's was its usual stellar display of interesting cars, and some delectable treasures in the shop to receive the final touches before they perform before what is expected to be the largest crowd ever to attend any of the Rennsport Reunion meetings.

One of the highlights of the day surely had to be seeing the original Penske / Donohue 917/30 (Ser. # 917/30-003 ) the actual winner of multiple CanAm races and holder of the outright closed circuit Speed record. of approx. 211+ miles per hour set at Talladega one week before Donohue's untimely death due to a F1 testing accident in Austria. I am devoting an entire set of 5 to that memorable machine, and very much look foreward to seeing and perhaps even hearing it at RR V.

As always, if there are specific questions, let me know and I'll attempt to answer them.

Thanks for looking,

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 09-14-2015 at 03:19 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

In what I thought was an unusual coincident, 3 guests brought their interesting V8 engined conversions to Canepa's:

Photos 1 & 2, a matt-black 911 with a relatively stock Chevrolet 350 coupled to a 915 gearbox via a commercially available adapter and installation kit.
    Photo #3: A very nicely done 914…….unflared no less, although I suspect it could use lots more rubber on the ground to try to control that much torque
    Photo #4: the most professional conversion of those present, a late-model V8 into a Volvo station wagon.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

……and another set

As is customary, the Canepa shop is where you find the real treasures.

The final set of 5 features the piece de resistance of the September Canepa C & C meeting.

Thanks, Bruce !

JZG

John, please let me add a few experimental photos taken yesterday using one of the Fujifilm effects.

-- David

Great pictures John and David! Thank you for sharing!

I really do like the Fujifilm effects!
    Rick
    Early S Reg #2492

I enjoyed my bonsai drive from San Francisco but was truly impressed with every aspect of the morning. It is always fun to see race cars being prepped for a big event and I appreciated the open shop. Below are a few of the snapshots I took along the way. I also had a great drive up the coast and loved every turn from Pescadero to Woodside.

(I appreciated seeing the tech sticker from Monterey 2012 on the Cobra below, I had fun running in that event as well. Also love the luggage 'trays' and spare tire in the 917)
    1970 Porsche 911E
    1957 Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce Lightweight

Early 911 S Reg no: 3241

Thanks for sharing as I was out of town and I'm always curious of new arrivals.