Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank restoration shop in Orange County?

Gas tank restoration shop in Orange County?

The gas tank in my 73 911t mfi, has this this brownish junk in the inside, I was told it has to be cleaned and resealed. Does any one recommend a shop in Orange County area?
    Thanks for your help

I don't think there is a "gas tank restoration shop " in Orange County . Clean strip will clean your tank , you will have to find someone to spray on new stonegard .

Curious- what is recommended for the inside of the tank? Clean and then coat with something?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Por-15 makes a kit to reseal the inside of your tank. Here's a link for ya. I've had no experience with their tank kit but their chassis rust protection is really good.

http://www.advanced-rust-protection....epair-Kit.html
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    I don't think there is a "gas tank restoration shop " in Orange County . Clean strip will clean your tank , you will have to find someone to spray on new stonegard .
    What I was trying to say was a shop that offers tank restoration service, I found A1 radiator in orange ca, for $325 they strip the gas tank inside and outside, repair the dents and coat it inside and out.

I think A1 radiator would be classified as a gas tank repair shop not a gas tank restoration shop . Will they be duplicating the original stone guard finish and color ?
    I know the answer is no .

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    In general, old school radiator shops are where you go for gas tank repair. Harry & Son Radiator in Temple City, CA fixed some problems with my 356A's radiator and there was a 911 tank on the office floor when I was there. Harry & Son was used by a lot of restorers, including European restorers with thing;s like Mercedes 540Ks.

Problem is, the owner died a while back and Harry & Son is no more. You might try to find another radiator shop that does classic car radiators and maybe get a two step tank restoration where somebody else does the exterior.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I found a place in orange that cleans the inside of the gas tank only to bare metal for $200, then I'm just going to seal it.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    In general, old school radiator shops are where you go for gas tank repair. Harry & Son Radiator in Temple City, CA fixed some problems with my 356A's radiator and there was a 911 tank on the office floor when I was there. Harry & Son was used by a lot of restorers, including European restorers with thing;s like Mercedes 540Ks.

Problem is, the owner died a while back and Harry & Son is no more. You might try to find another radiator shop that does classic car radiators and maybe get a two step tank restoration where somebody else does the exterior.
    Ops. They fixed the 356A's gas tank.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 09-24-2015 at 04:13 PM. Reason: correction
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I was fortunate enough to get a N.O.S tank with my project but opted to get a price on resealing from a local shop as insurance. Once he found out it was for a Porsche the asshat quoted $400.

As long as there are no leaks, I found resealing as a D.I.Y. is pretty simple. Damon Industries sells (maybe they are mfg) a product called Red-Kote, used by many shops which do this work. It also seals any rust left inside as well. All you have to do is swish acetone around the inside, let it dry and then swish 1 full quart of Red-Kote (I think about $40/qt), pour out the excess.