Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know the CG on LWB 911s?

Does anyone know the CG on LWB 911s?

Curious- Is the approximate center of gravity the jack port area, +/- ? I am going to be trailering a car and have always been curious.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

probably but the real issue is the ball hitch nose weight on your trailer - needs to be around 100 - 150lbs, many reverse the car on the trailer to do this. On my trailer I can load the car in forward or reverse just needs to be well up the trailer to get the nose weight right, on shorter trailers this may be an issue. If I reverse on the car can be in the middle. No matter what NEVER have negative nose weight or you'll have huge issues.
    65 911 FIA Race Car
    66 911 RHD - full restoration under-way
    67 911S
    74 Carrera US Spec
    81 911SC - thinks its a 74 RSR

Thanks redrobin911- Yes, I am familiar with tongue weight. I do always carefully make there is a positive load on the hitch ball.

I will be using a dual axel trailer and just wanted to visualize about where on the trailer bed the car would reside, +/-

Haasman
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Mine was 63.5% rear when I corner balanced it. That number was with 1/2 tank of fuel and no driver. (With me in it it was 62.5% rear)

That means the CG on my car is about 32.5" forward of the rear wheel. The torsion bar is about 18" forward of the rear axle line so I think the jack point is less than 14" from that but pretty close. Probably the jack point is a little rearwards of the CG.

My car is far from stock, however.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I load mine with the jack point about 3-4 inches in front of the center line of the trailer axles.
    Depending on the truck. The 1 ton more forward than the 1/2 ton.....I watch the change of the truck's height when loading.
    HTH
    H

Great- Thanks these are all very helpful.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

These setups are great. A buddy just pulled an Allard in a large enclosed trailer to Elkhart Lake WI for a reunion this past weekend. The trailer is a tandem and these took care of any issues regarding tongue weight and stability/sway.

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...E9JhoCeOzw_wcB
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

its really simple to figure out - just follow this formula

cg * W = S x dw
    w = m * g
    m = rho * V
    w = g * rho * V
    dw = g * rho * dV

dw = g * rho(x,y,z) * dx dy dz

then solve
    cg * W = g * SSS x * rho(x,y,z) dx dy dz
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

My option works for load placement without finite element analysis and requires no calculator.
    There is nothing worse than trailer sway except for trailer sway and no trailer brakes to "correct" it.

FWIW: Here is another outfit anybody considering towing a car safely should know about:

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/?g...JbnBoCT1Tw_wcB

My option works for a load without finite element analysis over where it's placed and requires no calculator.

There is nothing worse than trailer sway except for trailer sway and no trailer brakes to "correct" it.

FWIW: Here is another outfit anybody considering towing a car safely should know about:

Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

The stabilizer option works for load placement and requires no calculator.
    There is nothing worse than trailer sway except for trailer sway and no trailer brakes to "correct" it. The terrible feeling of the tail wagging the dog.

This is the real stuff.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111