Thread: Scam Reference Ad - FS: 1972 Porsche 911T Targa

Scam Reference Ad - FS: 1972 Porsche 911T Targa

Single owner car till May 2003, the second and current owner, purchased this car with 41,600 original miles. Very clean original car with no issue of rust. Well presentable car in attractive Bahia Red with black interior.
    Great running and driving 911 T.
    Comes equiped with a strong 2.4L motor and a 5 speed manual transmission. The targa top is in an excellent condition. Sound clutch and gearbox. Good syncro's in all gears.
    Car comes with a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche.
    Also comes with the spare tire and jack.
    Location: Saint Petersburg, FL. I am asking $44650, I am open to reasonable offers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

PM sent......
    Anthony
    Member #: 2609
    1972 Porsche 911S Coupe 0020 925 Silver Metallic (SOLD)
    1973 Porsche 911E Coupe 0865 025 Aubergine
    1974 Porsche 911S Targa (0697) Copper Bronze Metallic

Guys, I have just spoken with "Ed" the owner of this car. First of all, he is using a VOIP phone with terrible WIFI connection so the line was terrible. He has some kind of scammy accent. A few things already just not sounding right with this guy. Oh and he just signed up today on the EarlyS forum along with Pelican, PCA, and Rennsport. Still i thought everything was in order, because he was giving me such a sense of comfort. I then decided to do a google search on his pictures, and the most alarming one is the picture showing the engine compartment, because that same picture belongs to a tangerine 72 911T sunroof coupe sold by The Motoring Enthusiast. He just cropped the picture enough to cut out the rock background, so that you could not recognize it. Here is the link for the SOLD page for the 72T Sunroof coupe (scroll down to picture #61) I also attached it at the bottom of this post. Its a little annoying scrolling down, but once you realize the resemblance, it might have saved someone on here $40,000+. I just wanted to pass along my finings and facts and hope that nobody falls for this A$$HOLES BS.

http://www.themotoringenthusiast.com/cars/72-t

1.jpg
    Anthony
    Member #: 2609
    1972 Porsche 911S Coupe 0020 925 Silver Metallic (SOLD)
    1973 Porsche 911E Coupe 0865 025 Aubergine
    1974 Porsche 911S Targa (0697) Copper Bronze Metallic

Nice sleuth work Anthony. I came across a similar 356 scam recently. Can you share how you searched to match and discover identical images so we are all armed with another anti-scam tool. Thx
    Zed
    Zed

Pictures are all of a tangerine car so the alam bells ring straight away. Why would a long term owner describe it as Bahia red?

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Thought I would play along so sent an email asking for under carriage pics and COA. Sent me pics of the Tangerine coupe listing you posted, not sure where the COA came from:

undercarriage3.jpgundercarriage2.jpgundercarrige1.jpgundercarriage4.jpg
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by Zedone View Post
    Can you share how you searched to match and discover identical images so we are all armed with another anti-scam tool. Thx
    Zed
    https://images.google.com/

In the Chrome browser, right-click any picture and in the drop down menu select "Search Google for this image." All but the best scams are thus revealed.

There have been a bunch of these lately, pattern- all low mileage one owner cars, under market, fake title and driver's licenses, have to wire money to wife as kid is having life saving surgery- barf!

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658