Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Lifts (for personal garage use)... Thoughts needed

Car Lifts (for personal garage use)... Thoughts needed

I'm interested in getting a lift for my garage, and I'd like to hear the group's opinions and experience with different types of lifts. Unfortunately, I have low garage ceilings... barely over 9' (9' 1", to be exact).

I have been looking at 2-Post Base Plate lifts, like these: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000

Or Mid/Low-Rise Scissor lifts, like these: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Scissor-Lift

Advantages/disadvantages to the 2-Post lifts in my mind are:
    + can lift car higher
    + give full access to undercarriage, drivetrain, etc.
    - have 2 posts and 4 arms that might get in the way when not in use (I WILL have a car parked in this garage bay even when lift is not in use).
    - arms can be difficult to appropriately position (my experience when using a friend's lift)

Advantages/disadvantages to the scissor lifts:
    + car parks over top of lift, so out of the way when not in use. (i.e. no posts, arms, etc. in the way)
    + easy to position car on lift (place blocks under jack points)
    + lift is moveable (not bolted to floor)
    - does not lift as high
    - does not allow full access to undercarriage and drivetrain
    - could be an annoyance to drive up and over ramps whenever getting the car out

Cost is roughly the same for both, and clearly each has advantages and disadvantages. I'm curious to hear anyone's experience with one or both types of lifts while working on Porsches (acknowledging quirky jack point locations).

Thanks in advance for any input!

Dave

I have no experience to share yet, but these are the two options I´m considering.

First:
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Second:

Cheers, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

I use a 4 post lift. It costs 3-5" in height over a 2 post, but requires no fiddling when putting the car up. You just drive on and off. I have jacks front and rear for my Direct Lift, so if needed I can take all 4 wheels off at the same time.

If you need storage for 2 cars, the 4 post or 2 post lifts are obviously better. If its just to work on a car in one bay, then a 2 post is great, bearing in mind a 911 is an asymmetric load and needs care to load. Also two post lifts require good anchor points. At least 3000 psi concrete and 4" thick. 4 post lifts need not be anchored and are far more forgiving of asymmetric loads. But you need the jack accessory to really be able to get in and work on suspensions.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

You did not say how big your garage is, two car four car etc. I have a 10,000 lb. two post lift that I find works great for me and I have a five car garage with 14 ft ceiling. One of my friends has a four post lift which he is very happy with but he finds that it takes up more space. He has a seven car garage so it is not a big problem.

What you have for pros and cons is correct. I find that if I'm not using the lift I will park one of the cars between the post and the lift arms have never tripped me.

You will wonder how you ever managed without a lift once you have one.

Lash
    1963 356-B T6 not running
    1972 911-T sold
    1972 911-S Targa
    1979 M/B 450 SLC

Guys, thanks for the input.

Lash, You're correct... I should have given some details regarding my garage setup. I have two garages... attached is 4-car, approx. 1100 SF, with 10.5' ceilings. Attached garage currently houses the daily drivers along with numerous kids bikes, PowerWheels, etc. It could definitely accommodate a 4 post lift for storage, but I'm not sure I would want to "work" in there, as my shop is in a 2-car detached garage. That garage is 21' deep by 24' across with 9' ceilings. The detached is set up as garage / man-cave with couch, TV, etc... not to mention all of my tools.... a nice little escape from the house. So my preference would be to put the lift out there, but size and ceiling height are the limiting factors. The larger attached garage would be much more practical from a space/layout perspective, but there's something about working on my cars next to a minivan that just doesn't seem right!

Your tools need to be in the same garage as the lift.

What type of work will you be doing? Will you be removing the engine, transaxle or restoring your 911? A lift with ramps could be a problem. If you just want to service your car such as brakes, change oil, detail your wheels etc. then installing a two post low height lift in your detached garage would work. A four post lift may also work for you but remember what Northern Thrux mentioned that you will also need to purchase the jack accessory to lift the wheels off from the ramps when removing wheels.

Lash
    1963 356-B T6 not running
    1972 911-T sold
    1972 911-S Targa
    1979 M/B 450 SLC

Good timing- completing my garage. The plan is to install a Bendpak XPR-10A. I did a lot of 2-post comparisons .... for the minor difference in pricing Bendpak is quite impressive.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/two...s/xpr-10a.aspx
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Most have asked what your intentions are in using a lift. If it's to work on the mechanicals of the car ie. brakes, wheels, and front end, then I'd go with a two post lift as Haasman suggests.
    If you want to store a car in a smaller garage then look into a single post lift. By the way, it's easy to do many things on a single post lift. The motor in the '54 speedster was taken out and put back in a couple of times using this lift.
    Name:  Cars in Garage Nov. 2014.JPG
Views: 1153
Size:  111.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rattlecan View Post
    Most have asked what your intentions are in using a lift. If it's to work on the mechanicals of the car ie. brakes, wheels, and front end, then I'd go with a two post lift as Haasman suggests.
    If you want to store a car in a smaller garage then look into a single post lift. By the way, it's easy to do many things on a single post lift. The motor in the '54 speedster was taken out and put back in a couple of times using this lift.
    Name:  Cars in Garage Nov. 2014.JPG
Views: 1153
Size:  111.2 KB
    Manufacturer and cost please.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!