Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Car Lifts (for personal garage use)... Thoughts needed

When shopping for a lift you need to decide what you need it for.
    1. Working on the car.
    2. Storing the car.

The reason I say this is because the ones that work best for storing the car are not that great if you want to do work on it. I have two lifts in my garage for storage. They are drive on, so the cars sit on their wheels with suspension normal. If you take one of the lifts with pick up points and use it for storage you can work on the car easily but the car when stored will have the wheels dangling and can cause stress on the brake lines.
    You can do both with either lift, but you can't do both very well. So decide what you need the lift for before you buy one. I know lots of guys who don't think it through, drop a few thousand bucks and aren't happy down the road.

I got mine from my local NAPA on sale for around $2000 each. Installation was pretty straight forward, the manager of the NAPA is a Porsche guy and friend and help me put them together, he has the same on in his garage. I had them shipped to NAPA and picked up so no shipping charges.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Also have a bend-pak four post lift. Quality is good for the price and have no issues having my kids around it (7 and 10). Needs air attached to go up and we have it disconnected from the compressor unless needed.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

If money and space were no issue...I would buy a Mohawk A-7 (and System I...money & space is no object...) for my shop.

But in my real world...I'm looking along the lines of either QuickJacks or MaxJax right now. (After I win the lottery...see above.. )
    1971 911T Targa, aka "The Monument"; color is Irish Green

As I only have 8 feet to work with I use a MaxJax. The quality is just OK. It works and gets the job done. I wish I had more vertical to work with so I could stand under the car. With the car all the way up I have 2 to 3 inches of clearance.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

I am looking to install a flush inground scissor lift. However, I am having trouble finding one that's not too long. My 68L has about 59" between the wheels front to back. I can't seem to find a mid or full rise that would fit. Has anyone found one?
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

For the authentic approach… Porsche racing simply used wooden trestles like here Teloche preparation of M491 RS at Le Mans 73

Name:  IMG_3390.jpeg
Views: 317
Size:  154.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0547.png
Views: 318
Size:  975.0 KB

They used oil drums to support engines during work.
    And workers were seen smoking so maybe before the health and safety brigade with clipboards intervened
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-27-2024 at 03:59 PM.

am looking to install a flush inground scissor lift. However, I am having trouble finding one that's not too long. My 68L has about 59" between the wheels front to back. I can't seem to find a mid or full rise that would fit. Has anyone found one?
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

I'm renting space with a 15 foot ceiling. So I sold the MaxJax. The two poster is a dream come true. No more crawling around under the car. I use jack point extensions in the rear and hockey pucks with groves for the front pan seams.
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Excellent post #46 of '73 Le Mans, wooden trestles - and roller mechanic beds are seen. Years back a guy had come over and dropped a mid year drive train in 35 min. flat. To see the speed of a guy rolling in several directions, back and forth under the car, knowing the correct sequence for removal.. Still, it was astounding. Certainly, it's nice to have a car up in the air, but a lot can get done with one of these in the garage.

Name:  mechanic bed.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  51.1 KB

I spent many decades rolling around on the floor using one of those. I still have one. After a spinal tumor, broken hip, broken femur, broken clavicula, broken arm, several cracked ribs, open heart surgery, etc., it's nice to stand up when I work on cars.
    www.reSeeWorks.com