Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Benny and the jets - a coming of age tale about a '77S rebuild

That's a wrap.

Following a much anticipated season of actually driving the car, I capped off 2016 with a trip down to H2Oi and then a balls out breakfast run with the local guys.

Before tucking in the covers, I figured out a parking layout that would allow me to store the 911 while also fitting our two daily drivers in the new garage. So much win.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder, so I've been busy lately putting together plans for the winter. It started innocently enough with buying a pair of Recaro fishnet headrests from California. I've since pulled both seats and have them ready to bring to the upholstery shop for new threads. Part of freshening up the interior will also include a new carpet set and RS door panels - still to be ordered/made.

The heavy hitter project recently showed up, and just happens to be 50ft of 3M 1080 Gloss Storm Grey vinyl. I tested a variety of colors, and ultimately landed on 3M's storm grey as it was the best mix of beige and grey available.

True to form, I have absolutely NO experience laying down vinyl other than various Orchid Euro stickers over the years. As part of my video project, I'll be filming the circus and posting to my youtube channel. Stay tuned.

Finally, I connected with Bob Tilton this morning and he's sending a set of his script decals:

Thanks!
    Benny and the jets - My '77S Rebuild Adventure

Keep us posted!

the first video is done! it's just an intro reel, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out

Nice Ben......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

So it's been too nice out not to pull the cover off and fire her up. I wasn't able to get out for a spin, but sometimes just hearing those carbs sputter to life after hibernation is enough to get the juices flowing.

East Coast
    In our "neck of the woods" 70" in February should equal getting out and driving your hot-rod!
    Nice work Ben, hope to see you soon...
    Last edited by MikeM; 02-27-2017 at 12:14 PM.

OG3
    RG715

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    In our "neck of the woods" 70" in February should equal getting out and driving that hot-rod!
    Nice work Ben, hope to see you soon...
    Couldn't agree more, but I made the bone head move of dismantling my seats a few days prior..

Hey gang! Long time no chat! Spring has officially sprung, and I'm back in action. Unfortunately I didn't complete any of my 911 related Winter projects, but I did have a lot of fun with the Audi and my daughter.

Here's a quick recap of that project:

Now that it's finally warm enough, I've also pulled the cover off the 911 to bring it out of hibernation:

And last but not least, this past weekend was the big Hershey swap meet in Pennsylvania. Great seeing a few of you guys out there! Hopefully we can get together again soon!

Thanks for watching!
    -Ben

Sort of an update: Kiddo and I spent a half hour the other day chasing a bird out of the garage. We literally must have scared the **** out of it, as it dropped two dozen poo bombs on the way out - mostly onto the 911. My daughter obviously found this hilarious.

Thumbs up

Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter