Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show off your high performance air filters for 46 IDA carbs!

Show off your high performance air filters for 46 IDA carbs!

I recently purchased an engine for my 911T. The engine came with 46 IDA carburetors. I am looking for ideas for the air filter set up for the car. I wish two run two filters (one per carb) as opposed to a single housing. Please post pictures of your engine/ filters, and add your impressions of the filters, i.e quality of fit and finish, filter performance, restrictive to air flow, or??

Thank you!
    1970 911T
    1972 De Tomaso Pantera
    1997 993 Carrera 6-Speed (Gone but not forgotten)

It is all a learning process for me. That is why I am here, to learn from you guys. I learned that 40 Webers and 46 Webers can use the same filters. That being said, I am sure other filters for other induction setups will work as well. I really just want to see what options are out there. Thanks in advance.
    1970 911T
    1972 De Tomaso Pantera

I have an article aoubt air filters in this month's Vintage Motorsport magazine. It's my usual Newton's Law column and you can generally find it at any Barnes and Noble.

If you're running stacks on your Webers ITG feels you need a large gap between the air filter and the top of the stacks. The air box is really an air intake chamber. It helps to straighten the air over the velocity stacks.

K&N is best described as an oiled gauze filter. It works similar to a paper filter but two things make it different. The media is much more open (significantly bigger holes), and the media is oiled. This oil creates a sticky layer and as the dirt runs into the media it gets stuck in the oil.

Foam filters work by having millions of small open “cells” through which the air and anything floating in it must pass in order to reach the engine. High quality, duel density foam filters manipulate the size of these “cells,” often with a fairly large cell size on the outside element to grab the big stuff, and a much smaller, more tightly packed cell structure on the inside element designed to catch any of the grit that made it through the first element.

BMC filters will trap 7-micron debris and still maintain efficiency. K&N refused to talk about what size debris their filters trap. Generally you want something in the 10-micron range. Keep in mind that a grain of sand is 50 microns.

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 521
Size:  5.2 KB

Name:  7528.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  102.3 KB

Richard Newton
    Car Tech Stuff

I've seen a lot of Pipercross filters on vintage race cars.....Not that this one is particular vintage

Name:  C5500_3.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  27.7 KB

The main issue with both Pipercross and ITG is that when the car is stationary in the rain they will soak through. It is possible to rivet shields into the grille of the engine lid but this is only a partial solution.

The PMO Watershield seems a much better option.

I do like the racey look of the ITG, Pipercross and the K&N. Not to worried about rain......I live in California........no rain (unfortunately), I am retired and it is a weekend car. Trying to optimize performance. Really like this kind of look:

Name:  DSCF0628.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  99.7 KB performance.
    1970 911T
    1972 De Tomaso Pantera

The downside to the watershield set up is you lose HP at high revs.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Name:  911 Webers w:906 shields.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  70.6 KB

I sort of like these. Right now I'm running the water shields but I love the sound of open stacks at the track.

Richard Newton
    Car Tech Stuff

The best looking air cleaner set up that I have seen looks like a cut down 908 filter.
    Can't find a photo right now.....
    I have seen them at Easy but never asked if they available for the great unwashed...
    They wouldn't work for me as I occasionally get caught in the rain while rallying.
    H