Thread: Rear quarter window screws

Rear quarter window screws

What is the size/thread on these? and does anyone have a supplier? Thanks, Mike
    Name:  screw set qtr window.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  20.1 KB

How can anyone work on these cars without a set of taps and dies. Even the cheap HF units (under $10) come with a thread pitch gauge, and measure the shaft to tell how big it is. Measure the shaft with a mike or caliper (pretty good digital one available at HF for under $10 also). If you measure in inches, just divide that number by ".03937" (decimal equivalent of 1mm) to get the Metric size. See post #3 and #5 here.
    Bob B
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...al-cancel-ring
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 10-01-2015 at 10:45 PM.

So happy you cleared that up Bob. Now maybe you can put your thread gage on one of these and tell me what it is. Don't know that I have ever seen one that you can use on rusted threads, especially threads this fine

if you know the MY you can look it up in PET

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    if you know the MY you can look it up in PET
    That is the first move I made......no luck. These little machine screws are not shown in the detail.

huh- kindofa surprise they aren't listed

if no one knows, then take the best one(s) & measure the dia. then look for common thread pitches for that dia. & try gently to see if it will fit

Took a chance and tried a tap that looked to be close. Sure enough, they are 3mm x .5, 6mm in length.

Also thought I saw Stoddards has those shown paired with the corner angle to hold frame pieces.
    Good luck
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Well Michael, that wasn't too hard, was it. Even if you don't have a pitch gauge, once you have measured the shaft and determined the size, you can use this handy chart to determine the probable pitch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_me...thread#ISO_261

Then you could have pulled out your 3X.5mm tap and matched the threads to one of your screws before you put the tap into the hole to chase the threads.
    Not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to inform readers here that it is pretty simple to figure these things out using some readily available (and cheap) tools.

You can find 25 of those (Phillips not slotted) here for a little over $4.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/M3-x-6mm-Qty...item1c50f2877d

Bob B
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 10-02-2015 at 10:01 AM.