Thread: Solexes for Early 1966 Porsche 911

Solexes for Early 1966 Porsche 911

I have an early 1966 911 that I am restoring. When I purchased the car years ago it had been partially restored and had the Solex's removed and replaced with Webers. I'm looking to convert it back to Solex's. Anyone have any ideas where I might look for them?

Restoration newbie.
    They come up here every now and again. Not cheap anymore since every 65/66 911 is now being restored.

Depending on how much you want to spend you could probably source a set very quickly, but if you are cheap like me you may have to be quick and lucky, with an extra helping of lucky. Did I mention lucky?

Pictures of the car pls!

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    You might inquire of Carparc USA--they restore early 911s and have turned out several cars with Solexes. But, they might very well be saving any sources for their own use. You could also ask Paul Abbott at Performamce Oriented--he specailizes in early 911 Carburetors. Brad Davis at HBD Products provides some of the rare fittings.

Solex 40PIs have become worth more than their weight in gold.

Be aware that the manifolds, tandem fuel pump, most of the throttle linkage, the left side camshaft nut, and air cleaner are unique to the Solex carburetors. You also need unique fuel lines on the firewall and over the fan shroud.

Good Luck.

There are just a few things that I know are available:

• 901.108.991.00 the Air Cleaner Sleeve is available at multiple sources
    • 901.108.492.00 the Insulating Piece for the fuel pump is available at multiple sources
    • Ed Fall at Vintage Werks LLC rebuilds tandem fuel pumps
    • The sticker with firing order and valve clearance that goes on the snorkle is available from Aase Sales and Car Bone

Paul Abbott told me that 901.108.650.00 "DAMPER" (part of the throttle linkage) is actually a stock part that's not too hard to find in the USA. I don't recall where he told me they can be found.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 10-04-2015 at 06:19 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Frank Beck was advertising a nice refurbished set ready to go for $9,500.00 I believe in the parts for sale section . Paul Abbott wants $4525.00 for refurbishing .

DSCF4365.jpgDSCF4369.jpgDSCF4373.jpgDSCF4382.jpgDSCF4392.jpgI too have an early '66. The car came with the original Solex carbs. A long time ago, I installed Weber's because it was what you did back then. Luckily, I saved the whole set up. Fuel lines, fuel pump, air cleaner housing etc. Two years ago, I went nuts and spent a small boat load of money refurbishing my trusted old friend of 40 years. I can send many pics of the over kill restoration of my Solex carbs. I have some pics that I can post. What serial number do you have? Mine is #303636. Good luck in your search. Skeeters
    Last edited by 1red66911; 10-04-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    As of 30 September 2015 a set of Solexes was available at http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=solex:

Solex Carbs and manifolds for 1964-1966 911's. Pair for restoration
    This is a core set of carbs and manifolds. Both will need work. Throttles are stuck. Magnesium manifolds will need work in a few places. Please take a close look at the pics. No linkages or air boxes. Many of the bolts are rusty. Will need to be sent out for a full restoration. Thanks.
    $3500 Shipped Conus. euro shipping add $300 for UPS shipping. I would not trust these to the U.S. postal

It looks to be missing one float bowl (and probably the float) too.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

It's not pretty, and mostly in pieces. This is it's second restoration, and the first was done badly. But here are a few photos.

DSC_5126.jpgDSC_5127.jpgDSC_5128.jpgDSC_5130.jpgDSC_5131.jpgDSC_5133.jpgDSC_5135.jpgDSC_5136.jpgDSC_5137.jpgDSC_5138.jpg

Chassis #303243. I have just recently learned the value of this car, so I'm working slowly on making sure it is done correctly. I purchased the car about 7 years ago for $4500. I've been working on it a little bit at a time for about five years. It had been restored once before, but I use that term very loosely. The previous owner did a horrible job on it, and likely painted it in his back yard.

We have a few that we are in the process of refurbishing.