Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1968 911s?

1968 911s?

Hey all,

Just recently joined in hopes of gaining some knowledge on a car my dad recently brought home. I have a bit of knowledge with Fords, but absolutely none with Porsches. I'll post a few pictures in hopes the you all can help me identify what this car is. If you need specific pictures please ask.

Thanks for any insight you may have!
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Focused Venom; 10-08-2015 at 04:01 PM.

Looks like a 68S.
    Besides the steering wheel and headlights, don't see too much that isn't stock so far.
    The engine may need some attention. I wonder what that little thing that looks like it is coming out of the right heat tube?
    It looks like it may have spent some time out doors.
    Probably need to check out how much rust it has.
    Then plan a course of action.
    More photos please.......
    HTH
    H

looks like a S

you can get a birt certificate from porsche

if you are planning to restore it you will soon figure out that the 68 is a very special bird...many 68 only parts...

whats the eng.#

not so familiar with us cars but should not there be side reflectors on the 68?
    oil gauge shows druck(german for pressure) not pressure

nice project though

nice pants also

It is a ROW car. As all 68Ss were....
    H

According to the paint code number 6804 (light ivory), it appears that the car still has (or had) its original paint.

-Rick

That would be my dads pants lol.

So a little background on the car that I know:

My uncle received it as payment for something back in the early 90s. He's carted it around Colorado and New Mexico for the last ~20 years. He mentioned that he always started it every few months but it currently only turns over under battery power. My dad recently decide to buy it off of him for really cheap just for a resto mod project or something. As soon as I recieved a little more details on it, I told my dad not to touch it.

I did a little digging on here and it sound like the car wasn't sold in the US. Are these uncommon cars in the US?

The only place my dad has found rust is near the battery. But, he has yet to get under the car and check the pan. Where do these cars usually rust?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    It is a ROW car. As all 68Ss were....
    H
    ROW? Sorry I'm not familiar with that acronym.

Rust near battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The 68S is a Rest-Of-the-World car.
    Someone probably federalized it in the past to be able to register it in the US.
    It is a very special model and sought after.
    Enough so that I would not do anything that would damage or otherwise devalue the car.
    You will be able to find any and all of the resources through this site to be able to repair or restore your car correctly.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Focused Venom View Post
    Where do these cars usually rust?
    Floors, battery box, front suspension pan, longitudinals, rear package tray....most of the lower 6 inches is suspect.
    At least that is where mine is rusted
    H