Thread: Repo Durant mirror adjustment - is it possible?

Repo Durant mirror adjustment - is it possible?

Hi all-

For the life of me I can't adjust the repo Durant mirror so I can see behind the car. Is there a trick? Take out the mirror and move the pivot point? Get an original?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw
    1969 911E ROW Coupe ‘Orangina’
    1968 911 SWT Burgundy Red project

I have the same problem, but determined that it is because my mirror is positioned further forward on the door than it should be. The doors were out of a 75 with a flag mirror, and the holes while similar, are in a different spot.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Ron the door side mirror is for looking for cars in the adjacnt line and not down the side of the car or behind it, the interior rear view mirror is used to look behind the car.

Ron,

From what I've noticed, based on responses to threads like yours, over the years, is that the original (and reproductions of the) Durant rear view mirror, are basically form over function, meaning that they look nice on the car, but offer very little, if any real rearward visibility.
    Steve Meltsner

Ron,

I had the same problem years ago when I got a replacement mirror. I took the mirror apart, found the restriction in adjustment was the hole size in the mirror base, got the mini-grinder out and fixed it - figured I couldn't really ruin a reproduction mirror.

I can now look back down the side of my 69 and feel much better/safer with the view.

Ken
    ==============================
    1969 S Targa
    Kids: 330xi - WRX - MS3
    Member #2794

I had (key word HAD) a replacement and could not adjust it at all. I like the looks, but mirrors are one of those few items that function is as important if not more, than function.
    Mauricio
    Three Pedal Posse
    Member # 1935

1968 Porsche 912-6 TR Tribute
    1968 Porsche 911 L
    1973 VW Sportsbug
    1974 Porsche 911 S
    1991 Porsche 964 Carrera 2 3.8

"if you see a fork in the road, PICK IT UP!"

The UK repro (karman Konnection?) for the early one actually does work (thin edge). I have not tried the later one (thicker edge)... The one you normally get in the US is only good for deco purposes, not for seeing anything. Very happy with the UK repro, I bought another... If you wanna keep the useless Durant Repro I suppose you might be able to do some surgery on the mirror piece, shim it and reglue it...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

My '71T still has it's original mirror which was pretty stiff when I first bought the car. I was able to get some silicon spray into the joint and it works great now, totally adjustable to where I can use it. I would think, if the repros are nearly unusable, a good original (although probably a lot harder to find) would probably be the best bet.

Stretch
    Registry # 3063

Thank you for the responses. This is my first 911 and still getting used to the "personality" of the car vs. my Roadster. I'll try to do a bit of surgery to get the mirror adjusted a bit better but I won't dwell on it if not perfect.
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw
    1969 911E ROW Coupe ‘Orangina’
    1968 911 SWT Burgundy Red project