Thread: Deer hit rebuild restore.

Deer hit rebuild restore.

Hi.. I'm slowly working on the T, after the deer hit. I'm no longer mad at the fuc@#ing deer. ok. Just a little. I'm working through all the "while you are in there" scenarios. Over and over in my brain. The car has too many non original parts to consider going fully back to stock. Although I do wish to remain as close as possible. This morning I've started to take things apart. As I do I'll post questions and pictures. Thanks in advance for opinions and advice.

The deer hit me in the right front and bounced down the whole side of the car. The car had a full color change at one point, and my suspicion is that it was also hit once on the right side. The front fender does not quite look right for a number of reasons and there is evidence of previous repair. I'm assuming we won't know the extent of repair on the fender until we remove all the old paint. Is there any way to tell if the fender is original? If it is, and it's repairable, I'd prefer that to a new fender.

Here are my first group of questions and pictures.

1. The corner light does not fit well. This is not deer hit related. Does this look like a fitment issue (brackets) or does the fender contour look wrong? There is way to much of the top of the light sticking out past were the metal ends.
    2. If we choose to fix the fender, I assume the light bucket is welded into the fender? Does this need to be cut out to correctly fix the rust shown in the picture?
    3. Should this horn grill be sent out for repair and re-chrome or are the after market replacements just easier to buy and install?

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Up here in the Hudson Valley of NY deer are a real problem. I have hit them with the last two trucks I have had but luckily never in a Porsche.
    Big John, who works for me makes the most of the situation, he hits the deer, has the cops come tag it (sometimes even popping a round off), and brings it home to eat. His motto is "from the grill to the grill"
    The main thing to remember about deer if you see one cross the road slow down fast, even if he has made it to the other side, they travel in packs, so normally one jumps out but 2-3 are close behind.
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

That top edge is turned in a lot but if you remove the bucket it might be salvageable.
    You drill out the spot welds to remove the bucket, then repair the rusty edge.
    To repair headlight bucket rust issue.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...et-replacement
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Thanks for the advice on the deer. I live just outside of Rochester. The deer problem is horrible. Self imposed 35-40mph speed limit in and around my house. This is my second encounter with the bastards this year. The one's you see are fine. It's the one's you don't see. Bob, thank you for the link. I certainly want to fix the car right.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Ehinger View Post
    ...The one's you see are fine. It's the one's you don't see.
    That's exactly right...but I have found with some extra diligence you can almost entirely avoid them. After so many close calls, I noticed the 2am slot to be among the worst, since deer correctly assume fewer cars to be around then. One paradox is that we're taught to keep our eyes fixed on the road, which doesn't work well with deer imo...

Strategies worth considering imo -- A) Increase peripheral vision 10 - 20% - fast eye scanning terrain left and right of headlight zone, which can be taxing but changes the odds in your favor. No radio or cell. B) The brake pedal ready in an instant for any 'chance' crossing. C) Apply unconventional throttle, rather than casual steady throttle. C) Visibility suddenly at it's worst .. endeavor to be 5 mph beneath posted when these areas occur.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post
    I noticed the 2am slot to be among the worst, since deer correctly assume fewer cars to be around then.
    Oh dear. I'm pretty sure deer don't assume anything; they simply want to eat something or mate with another deer on the other side of the highway.

The original post reminds me of the current news story of the guy in California who discovered he had cancer after a shark attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Oh dear. I'm pretty sure deer don't assume anything; they simply want to eat something or mate with another deer on the other side of the highway.
    'Conditioned' may be a better term for their behavior, when fewer cars are threatening them..

Dogs ( coming from wolves) would outrank deer in intelligence, right ? Their long relationship with mankind has made them smarter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post

Dogs fwiw, would outrank deer in intelligence, right ? Their long relationship with mankind has made them smarter.
    My dogs completely debunk that theory.

I'd love to see this thread deteriorate into a debate on the merits of installing deer whistles. A big topic back where I am from in Michigan.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider