Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: FS: @eBay - 1970 911S Coupe

You’re welcome Henri, have sent the seller a PM to get his phone number! I’ll keep you posted!

Guess I should be checking my mailbox regularly for the rightfully owed compensation check from the characters who me this misrepresented matching numbers cars with a bogus re-stamped engine. Nice to have the proof that what belonged to the car - and for which I paid handsomely - is indeed still around but far, far away.

So unfortunately that engine in Germany was serial # 6300800 and not 6300300. It was difficult to read on the pic so I am still super grateful to Jesse for tracking it and notifying me. This said, I would be happy for anyone on this forum to spread the word that I am looking for that serial # 6300300 engine. There is an early letter in the vast documentation I received with the car where the first owner (Mr Thomas Wood in Michigan) in late December 89 sent to Mr Bruce Anderson in CA asking whether to change the engine or do a rebuild. That is the first clue that the engine was severely damaged due to an oil distribution problem. I don't have the answer that Mr ANDERSON might have replied with to MR WOODS but it stands to reason that the conclusion would have been to replace the engine then thus leading to a potential clue as to when/where the original engine might have ended up. Only the top of the engine (camshafts and heads) were damaged and so the bottom must have been re usable.
    HENRI RICHARD
    13925 MIRMIROU DR
    LOS ALTOS HILLS CA 94022-2458
    Founder of Carvault LLC
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/henrir/
    frenchracer@me.com
    +1 (408) 307 6906

I spoke to Mr. Woods and he acknowledged having the engine rebuilt under his ownership, but claimed NO awarness that someone had changed the block during the rebuild....he appeared very genuine in his response and was most interested to learn what I did, i.e. it indeed had been swapped out for a not-so-good restamping of another block.

Thank you for this mac73s. There is a very difficult to read answer from Mr Anderson in the documentation I have (thermal fax heavily faded) that definitely was pointing Mr Woods towards a rebuild. So since it wasn't done under his ownership we must go down the trail of owners. Have you reconstituted the entire list in your research ??. Happy new year
    HENRI RICHARD
    13925 MIRMIROU DR
    Founder of Carvault LLC
    frenchracer@me.com
    +1 (408) 307 6906

Quote Originally Posted by FRENCHRACER View Post
    Thank you for this mac73s. There is a very difficult to read answer from Mr Anderson in the documentation I have (thermal fax heavily faded) that definitely was pointing Mr Woods towards a rebuild. So since it wasn't done under his ownership we must go down the trail of owners. Have you reconstituted the entire list in your research ??. Happy new year
    I'm confused by your mention that it (the rebuild) was NOT done under his ownership....entirely different from what he told me personally on the phone. Did he send you this fax, and if so, perhaps there is reluctance now to acknowledge the rebuild given all of the attention this car has received. He is, afterall, an attorney..just sayin.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough so please accept my apologies. The documents indicate that Mr Woods was asking whether to exchange the engine or rebuild it. The very difficult to read fax from Mr Anderson points to a rebuild and I have to come to the conclusion that this is what Mr Woods did based on the available invoices. So NOT a replacement. But still, that leaves the mystery of where the original crankcase went and why replace it when the damage was strictly limited to the heads.
    HENRI RICHARD
    13925 MIRMIROU DR
    Founder of Carvault LLC
    frenchracer@me.com
    +1 (408) 307 6906