Thread: Selling my 68 912 - yes 912 (I'm keeping my 911 thanks! ;-)

Selling my 68 912 - yes 912 (I'm keeping my 911 thanks! ;-)

What we have here is a 1968 912, 5 speed short wheel base car running its original matching engine/carbs/tranny etc… The 68 fender reflectors were *not* reinstalled when it was repainted prior to my ownership. It’s quite a bit lower than stock but does not rub. It rides on Deep 6 fuchs w/ 205s, but I also have the 68-only wheel spacers in a box somewhere if you wanted to go back to steel wheels. I can sell the car on the $$Fuchs OR on the Steelies (all dated 4/67, I think) – the purchase price reflecting the difference. But not both sets, I need a spare set for my other car.

The car came to me without much history but - I was told - a fresh big bore engine. Usage and condition corroborate that, but that was prior to me so I cannot vouch for it. It will smoke a few seconds on startup after a 2 weeks slumber, but absolutely not a whiff once it is running. I honestly think it’s not even broken-in sufficiently. The car drives very well and feels strong for a 912. It impressed my mechanic... It is a looker, too.

Here is what I did in my almost 5 years with it – other than regular maintenance :

- Had about ½ the car repainted in matching Ivory. There were originally paint finish issues not to my standards, so my paint guy redid the read lid, the front fenders, the doors, and the area around the wipers to correct imperfections (and I mean paint finish imperfections, not rust or anything bad). You cannot tell, it’s a real good match and it’s now very good even up close, save for standard wear and tear from driving the car.

- I found out the front suspension pan was swiss cheese. The pan was cut out and replaced properly at Dave white in FL along with internal reinforcements (pics). Also at the same time the tank was pulled, resealed, and reinstalled. $$$$ !

- I repaired the dash lights and the horn (correct era horn reinstalled, new contacts, rubber pad and spring under the hockey puck)

- Car was raised about an inch and corner-balanced ! It’s still low but it has suspension now ;-)

- The pulley seal was replaced very recently to cure an oil leak (seal was new but kinked), and the carbs tuned up again for California gas, along with new belt, points, etc…

- Added yellow Fog lights (unwired as of yet) – have the bumper fog holes covers if you want to remove them and close it up again

- Had the steering wheel re-stitched with slightly thicker padding (RS style) at Dallas customs steering wheels.

- Recently repaired the carbs for sticky needle valve and float pivot bushing - A-OK now.

- Installed correct door mirror that actually shows traffic instead of the sky

- Found and added date correct (!!!) 1968 original rear seat belts (thanks EASY)

General condition (a.k.a anal retentive description focusing on the less than perfect stuff) :
    The car comes with an aftermarket 4 pt harness on the driver side and lap belt on passenger. One seat is more pleated that the other, suggesting one was redone. The harness is effective but can be annoying to some - I believe I have another lap belt from another car you can have if you prefer. Aside from the shaved reflectors, the car appears very original in terms of body, interior and components. All stock down to the air cleaners. It is a joy to drive, it starts very well even on modern ethanol laced gas (aka crap), and it is a sound car with no signs of rust anywhere. I can put the thing on a lift for you to double check. If you do, you will see the original floors with the "coke can tab" inside the circular floor stampings - from the factory - a rare sight nowadays !

1968 only door pockets are there and look very good and the door panels are uncut (no speaker holes), but the rubber band holding the door pocket closed (in theory) is extremely tired and should be replaced (never got to that). The gauges trim ring could use a little freshening. I believe the headlights are 67, not 68, but they are my favorite part of the car, looks wise.. So rubber band and gauge trim, plus not much history before me and no tool pouch. That's the negatives.. The dash in 68 only was a 2 piece affair, it used to be wavy, I replaced the flat part with a fresh one, and have 2 spares that come with (the wavy but reusable original plus a spare for the future). Everything on the car works as far as it was tried in daily driving, except of course the clock (I had it repaired on my other 912 and it now drains my battery all the time, so...your call). Even the AM radio works, surprisingly well! It’s also got a rain tray over the engine and an authentic cool CA smog exempt sticker on the windshield ;-)

Did I mention it’s fun? I own a 69 (LWB) which feels asleep next to this SWB s car – I wish I could sell the 69 instead but my wife adopted it and vetoed that idea. Overall, it just drives and feels like a "good car", you will know the feeling if you've driven others. There are zero hidden secrets or surprises. Again the car has a dogleg 5 speed box, of which I am not a fan because I prefer the standard H pattern of my other cars, but admittedly the shorter ratios are useful on windy roads. I took this car recently on a spirited drive with my 72 911T, and the 911 could not keep up in the twisties (it very much could on the straights however ;-) Think of this car as you would of an older boxster (lighter engine, further forward, less of a 911 feel - no pendulum at all).. The floor pans are *perfect*, the entire body is perfect... it’s a solid car with no visible patches at all, I believe matching numbers per the COA which I have (I checked 5y ago and it if wasn't it would be bothering me, but I will recheck) , CA title in my name. I basically took care of eveything I found over the last 5 years (I think, anyway). I’m only selling this car because I am tired of paying storage fees and my hope of renting a warehouse are fading.

I’m asking $40K on steelies and $43K on Fuchs (which is less than the current agreed value for insurance). Debate that all you want, I’ve seen really nasty cars sell for not much less, and some which I consider no better sell for 10s of thousands more…

Car is located in the north SF bay area. It came from LA, moved with me to FL, and now moved back to Cal. Used to have a black plate, so you "could" apply for another in theory if you live in Cal…

gdeschodt@yahoo.com - pretty much not negociable (unless you own an Alpine Renault A110 and wanna trade ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002