Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange production #

strange production #

one of my customers bougt a 71 S....that carries this (under ashtray)production#
    car possibly got a new nose or a nose section at one point of its life.
    not sure if this prod# comes from the new nose or is from the 71S
    did not have a chanche to have a closer look so far
    porsche factory says they dont know such a production# but looks quite factory to me....

anyone an idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think this is a Porsche motorsport "body in white" number.
    I know 002 0010 which is a 930 that was rebuild on such a body and used as a Group-B car.

If I'm correct, this is the second produced of the 1982 model year.

003 0009 is a Group-B 930 raced by Charles Ivey for Le Mans 1983.
    Last edited by 928cs; 10-15-2015 at 12:29 PM.

the vehicle looks pretty wild... first i thought it is a typical 80ies 930 conversion.
    colour on parcel shelf and some other spots is not any standard 911 colour i know
    car comes from a former german racing team....
    will dig a bit

sorry for not posting more pics but custy does not want me to.

No problem.

The 71S has certainly given its identity to register the car for the road.

SWB o LWB ???? may be a SWB... and may be not a 71.

that is a valid production number for a "spare" or replacement body shell
    the code is translated
    0 replacement body
    0 coupe (Porsche factory)
    2 last digit of model year starting in 1969 so I think probably 1972 (if it was 1982 wouldn't it have the new "WPOZZZ" codes that started in 1981?)
    0008 eighth spare coupe shell produced in 1972

so it seems to me that it is likely to be a 71S that has been reshelled by using a new shell from the factory. I think The VIN stamping in the front trunk should have the correct 1971S number stamped in next to the 002 0008 number although there are so few of these around I am not sure there is enough evidence for what is correct or not and it probably depends on where the reshell was done - at the factory or at a dealers place

however given that it is a motorsport car it may have been a spare shell used to build up a race car like the 935's mentioned above
    there were quite a number of them, especially the Kremer cars that were built from "body in white" supplied by Porsche directly to the race team (mainly Kremer)
    a lot were 000 or 009 cars (1980 or 1979 shells). I understand the 003 0009 car for le mans in 1983 was built on a factory replacement shell provided by Charles Ivey racing which quite possibly could have been a 1973 produced shell.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    that is a valid production number for a "spare" or replacement body shell
    the code is translated
    0 replacement body
    0 coupe (Porsche factory)
    2 last digit of model year starting in 1969 so I think probably 1972 (if it was 1982 wouldn't it have the new "WPOZZZ" codes that started in 1981?)
    0008 eighth spare coupe shell produced in 1972

so it seems to me that it is likely to be a 71S that has been reshelled by using a new shell from the factory. I think The VIN stamping in the front trunk should have the correct 1971S number stamped in next to the 002 0008 number although there are so few of these around I am not sure there is enough evidence for what is correct or not and it probably depends on where the reshell was done - at the factory or at a dealers place

however given that it is a motorsport car it may have been a spare shell used to build up a race car like the 935's mentioned above
    there were quite a number of them, especially the Kremer cars that were built from "body in white" supplied by Porsche directly to the race team (mainly Kremer)
    a lot were 000 or 009 cars (1980 or 1979 shells). I understand the 003 0009 car for le mans in 1983 was built on a factory replacement shell provided by Charles Ivey racing which quite possibly could have been a 1973 produced shell.
    it just came into my mind...i do have a late sc or early 3,2 replacement body...it does not carry a production#
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...85-cabrio-body

For 002 0010, the number is directly stamped on the location where the VIN usually is, next to the fuel tank.
    I will ask the owner to check if the production number (under the ashtray) is the same.

Now, is your body a 1972 or 1982 one?

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    For 002 0010, the number is directly stamped on the location where the VIN usually is, next to the fuel tank.
    I will ask the owner to check if the production number (under the ashtray) is the same.

Now, is your body a 1972 or 1982 one?

as mentioned ..i have only spent a few minutes walking arround the car....but i will have plenty of time soon.

Porsche didnt recognize the nr.? Sad.