Thread: Trannie fluid

Trannie fluid

Roughly how much trannie fluid will it take to feel it at the orifice on a 901? I couldn't find it in my manual. Had to drain mine to replace a seal. Anybody have a great suggestion for a hand pump to facilitate this with the engine in the car?

Speedo
    registry# 1283

jack up that side & remove the R. wheel - any transfer pump will make it easy (if you avoid doing it in the cold of winter - if you do, then warm the jug in a hot water bath)

don't understand the rest of your question - the capacity is listed in your owner's manual and/or tech spec booklet, service manuals, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by speedo View Post
    Roughly how much trannie fluid will it take to feel it at the orifice on a 901? I couldn't find it in my manual. Had to drain mine to replace a seal. Anybody have a great suggestion for a hand pump to facilitate this with the engine in the car?

Speedo

Don't know anything about trannie fluid, but your tranny should hold 6 pints.

Get a large funnel with a small outlet hole that can attach to a hose. I think you can get these already with a hose attached. Make a longer hose about 3' so that the funnel can be outside of the driver's rear fender. Support the funnel with a stand so that it is higher than the transmission. I used a musician's microphone stand that was adjustable. Remove the rear wheel and thread the hose into the transmission fill hole. Gravity will get the fluid, no matter how dense, into the transmission. No pumping necessary.

SV

Failing that, swepco bottles can be bought with a pump attachment. Works well for top offs, altohugh for a complete fill, that's a lot of hand pumping. I like the idea above ( gravity). I'm also going to look at swepco alternatives - been happy with it shift wise, but it'll leak out of anything !
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002