Thread: assembling fenders, what goes on prior. to permenant mount?

assembling fenders, what goes on prior. to permenant mount?

Just painted the body, fenders, hood etc. on my 71 T. Getting ready to install the fenders back on to the body and was hoping to confirm a few things and maybe get some tips. Obviously prefit all items prior to paint, good there and here's what I "think" should go on while the drivers side fender is being moiunted;

1. Terra Tape (dum dum strip) along mounting flanges on body and cowl flange. Suggested they be coated with wd40 to help adjust and move the fender into place before tighten down.?
    2. Install fuel fill pipe through body and install rubber fuel boot and drain tube on body before mounting fender.
    3. Install antennae on fender prior to mounting and run wire through bulkhead

Questions:

Was told harnesses and horns can be installed later.?
    can I install/mount vapor tank later after fender is on.?

Anything I'm missing here.? Any tips/help appreciated. Dealing with a neophyte here and a body shop that does not do a lot of old 911 work. Thanks again

My procedure is to mimic the factory method. The fender and door gaps are adjusted before paint. The door is then removed via the hinge pins. (critical to maintain gaps). Then I apply the terostat tape. I leave the backing on the fender side of the tape to make it easier to move the fender. (don't know if this was factory procedure?) I make sure the allen bolt that adjusts the rear of the filler door is loose ( not a factor when all parts were new, but can be stuck after 40 years and nearly impossible to get at when fender is on.) You'll want the fuel door hinge pin, spring and cotter key installed before paint. After the fender was fitted (this was before paint) the factory tack welded the rear edge of fender to maintain the critical horizontal fender edge to door gap. The fender was then bolted down (tightening order in shop manual) and painted, so all mounting bolts were painted. Antenna, and plastic guide for fuel filler door are mounted before door is installed. I mount fuel filler neck after fender is on, don't know if that is preferred method or not? Loosen cowl and first few fender bolts to install welting BEFORE installing door. Antenna should have bottom stabilizing bracket that can only be accessed before door is installed. Reinstalling door with hinge pins will maintain preset gap. You really need the factory slide hammer tool for this.

Harnesses, horns, and vapor tank can all be mounted after fender install.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

[QUOTE=edmayo;836534]You'll want the fuel door hinge pin, spring and cotter key installed before paint. [QUOTE]
    My first time that was a 12 hour lesson!!

All good advise from Ed as usual.....
    H

Thanks very much Ed, and Harvey as well. Can either one of you guys elaborate on the fuel door specifically.? Should the door itself be removed and painted separately, with the parts (hinge pin, spring and cotter key left on and painted with fender itself ?) Thx again guys. Harvey, sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Jrsully View Post
    Thanks very much Ed, and Harvey as well. Can either one of you guys elaborate on the fuel door specifically.? Should the door itself be removed and painted separately, with the parts (hinge pin, spring and cotter key left on and painted with fender itself ?) Thx again guys. Harvey, sent you a PM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVU3Ym8DvCs

note lid at sec 26-28