Thread: Restoring 68 Turn Signals

Restoring 68 Turn Signals

I recently got my turn signal buckets back from the chrome plating shop and they are beautiful. (Speed Sport Chrome in Houston) Now I need to mount the lenses, which brings up the question; how do I mount the lenses so that the assembly will be waterproof. The lenses fit snugly but certainly not water tight. I can imagine using a bead of silicone sealer but I'm wondering what other methods have been used. I realize the bulb mounts on the top of the box present a possible leak but I think I can deal with those. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS Maybe I should mention that the plating was only on the trim around the outside edge of the bucket, NOT on the reflective surfaces inside the assembly.
    Last edited by MrJTP2001; 10-27-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: clarification
    Tony
    68 Sporto Project
    2016 Boxster

Dumb question...are you using the rubber seals as noted in the PET?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Here's a good thread regarding lenses from over on the 912 Registry.

Reading through the posts you'll find a few mentions of assembly. Note that Brian Mendel has a good picture of the clamps he uses on the 3rd page of the thread.

regards,
    Eric

http://www.912bbs.org/vb/showthread....ghlight=lenses

bought the Merick lens's they fit good so I used silicone and used 5 rubber clamps on each box firmly but not hard. Let them set for a week. Look great. worth the $150 each Color is the best and they say BOSCH Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

72T, the rubber seal goes between the light assembly and the fender. I'm concerned (no longer) about the seal between the plastic lens and the light assembly. SO, that was indeed an informative article on the 912 site. The photo on the last page looks like the best way to go; silicone sealer and clamps.

Thanks to all!
    Tony
    68 Sporto Project
    2016 Boxster