Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay Leno's Oil

Jay Leno's Oil

I'm sure there have been many threads about oil but doing a search for "oil" seemed like a bad idea - however, if anyone can direct me to some previous threads it would be appreciated --

I just watched a Jay Leno video with John Wilhoit and they talked about older engines with worn camshafts because they used "modern" oil without zinc

I have been using Castrol 20W50 for 20 years in my '73 911 that gets about 2000 miles per year on it - are my camshafts worn? I change my oil and filter once a year.

should I be using Stoddard's oil for old Porsches (or some other special oil for older cars) or stick with my current habit?

thanks for any feedback
    73 911S Targa

I use Brad Penn 20/50 and my '73 is running fine.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    I use Brad Penn 20/50 and my '73 is running fine.
    good choice;

Castrol is not something I would use

thank you - just ordered a 12 pack of Brad Penn
    73 911S Targa

+1 on Brad Penn; we sell a lot of it!
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

I really don't want to get in the oil debate, and have no doubt that Brad Penn is "better", but I have used Castrol for 20 years, and my cams are not worn, nor is anything else as I am using standard bearings. I have (for other reasons) been in the engine enough recently to know the status. However, oil has changed over the years and they are taking out the anti-wear additives which Brad Penn apparently has. For that reason, and on the advice of our local shop, I include a quart of Valvoline Racing oil when I do the oil change, and that adds sufficient additives. I use Castrol because it is more widely available, affordable, and it has worked well in my engine.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

member #1515
    As Chuck says, everyone has a preference in oil. I've used Mobil 1 15-50 for over 35 years with no problems, and i can find it at my local FLAP. I've been tempted to switch to MOTUL, as they use a newer better synthetic than Mobil, but then I think, "why change if I've never had a problem?"
    Before that I used Kendall or Pennzoil when they were still made from Pennsylvania crude, which is no longer the case.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I think Brad Penn IS the old formula for Kendall.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by 69Sman View Post
    I think Brad Penn IS the old formula for Kendall.
    yes - this is our understanding, from our Penn rep.
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436