Thread: 71 911 s, from clean metal to paint

71 911 s, from clean metal to paint

My 71 911S coupe is soon ready to be painted, and I think we have control of witch color on what place, and what came first during the progress. But Im not sure.
    So hopefully some one here can help us to make I 100% correct list for the whole job.

Thanks.

MVH
    ST

It should be a tread about this, but I can't find it.

ST

I've got a '71S also. I think I'm at about the same phase as you in progress on my car. I found info. off the internet,
    stating that the underside of the car goes all grey except the wheel wells. They go black. Also I believe the engine bay
    would be black. My front trunk happened to be all gold paint (8888). I think I've seen other 71's with a black front trunk
    though.

After the cars underside is grey & black (which is done already)... I'm planning on taking the car into the booth to paint it
    the gold metallic... allowing the gold overspray to go where it goes. I have a well known early-911 restoration shop a
    10 min. drive from my shop (Kundensport, Oxnard Ca.)... I've been there a decent amount of times & noticed they do
    the overspray thing, to keep the car looking original. TO me it doesn't look as "pretty" as it could... but it looks correct.
    They have customers who PAY big $$... to have the restoration done RIGHT. I think they had 3 RS's in there last time I
    visited. They should know their stuff. ;o)

member #1515
    Dave Conklin, a member here, documented this all original 600 mile 70 T. Yours should be almost the same. Black paint was applied over body color where indicated.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/807244...8658/lightbox/
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thanks.
    I think we almost have a correct list:
    *Primer all over the car
    *Body protection on the inner fenders, in the engine roomand in the front, but there it should be faded out to Zero.
    *Bodysealing all places where plates are fitted together.
    *Color inside the car, black all the way from the dash and down to the floor
    *Black on seatrails, some places around the doors, some details between the backseat
    *In the engine room first color and then black paint with a brush
    *For my 71S color in the front, and black under the horn grill, and under the airintake under the front window
    *Under the floor primer, body protection, color and black paint.
    * color under bonnet and engine deck

PLease adjust if I`m wrong, and if a miss something.
    And yes I look forward to get the car back from the paintshop.

MVH
    ST