Thread: Door check help

Door check help

Hi everyone, I have an issue with my replacement door checks working and didn't find what I needed in the search. Basically I've bought replacement door checks from Sierra Madre and installed them on the car. However, when I try to close the door they will not let me close the door. I've tried to check them by trying to push the check in and out of the base but I think I need a vice to put it in which I don't have. In talking to a Porsche guy this week he mentioned that I might have installed them backwards. I did think that I did but you never know. Can anyone help me here?

The way I installed them, on the driverside, the curve of the door check would bow away from the car. Should it bow inward towards the car? Is there some sort of prep work needed to loosen the checks? Did I just get ripped off and get non-working door checks?

Thanks everyone, this is keeping me from finishing assembly on the door and I would love to keep this project moving.
    '73.5 911T Coupe Sportomatic Light Yellow (117)
    '73 911T Targa Sportomatic Light Yellow (117) - Sold
    '99 996 Carrera 4 Black - Sold

The Other Stuff:
    '63 Corvette Split Window
    '67 Datsun 1600
    '88 BMW M3
    '96 BMW M3
    '88 BMW M5

I think you have it on correctly, I describe it as the outward bow is towards the front of the car. The replacement check straps seem to be made for a bank vault door. There are four 'humps' on the strap, two that you can see when the door is open, and two that you can't see that are covered until you close the door. I use a 3" disc sander and sand down most of all four humps. The two inner ones will require that you temporarily install the check assly, then close the door until the inner one pops past the hump, (you need the leverage of the door to do this) then remove strap and now the inner most humps will be exposed. For this reason I always try to rebuild the original correct door straps.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for the info. So now I'm thinking I must've gotten faulty door checks from those guys. It appears that there is nothing keeping them from moving in and out of the base but they just don't move. I read somewhere that someone had lubed the main mechanism to get it to move but the weight of the door should've done that. I guess I'll order replacements from someone else. Not real pleased with Sierra Madre Collection. This is the third time I've gotten poor equipment from them. I would discourage future orders for others.
    '73.5 911T Coupe Sportomatic Light Yellow (117)
    '73 911T Targa Sportomatic Light Yellow (117) - Sold
    '99 996 Carrera 4 Black - Sold

The Other Stuff:
    '63 Corvette Split Window
    '67 Datsun 1600
    '88 BMW M3
    '96 BMW M3
    '88 BMW M5

Ed, I'm curious as to how you'd rebuild the originals.
    I know they're rarer than hens teeth.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

I save all the broken ones , then pirate the springs to repair otherwise good ones. I've even gone to my local friendly ACE hardware to get springs. I think someone now has the springs and maybe the levers. I would file down all the edges on the levers at the wear points to make them like new again. Possibly Stoddard or Sierra Madre?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

There are two issues here. Orientation is critical, as you can 'pimple' your door skin if you force the door closed with the check device turned the wrong way.
    The SMC rebuild kit has rollers and springs. As Ed says, recycle the old springs but use the new rollers.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    I have plenty of replacement springs, newly made and very similar as the original ones. Contact me if you need any.

Kind regards,

Cees