Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VIN '71 S Change in Number Font & Stars??

Now that's stirring the pot!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hm --- interesting topic . . .

So --- when did 'stars' start? . . .

. . 'cause here's a '67 w/ 'asterisks' . . .
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hm --- interesting topic . . .

So --- when did 'stars' start? . . .

The stars started in 70 with VIN font/number of digits (10) change. 69 font was much larger, and if I'm not mistaken, no stars OR asterisks. My guess is that in keeping with the larger font of the previous years and the increase in the number of digits, they ran out of space on the embossed square. Hence moving to the significantly smaller font.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

# 2991
    Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    69 font was much larger, and if I'm not mistaken, no stars OR asterisks.
    This seems correct, I recently looked at a '69S (119300100) that had no stars or asterisks.

I saw this '71T in the classifieds, 9111121839, it has a build date of 03/71 and has stars.

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    The stars started in 70 with VIN font/number of digits (10) change. 69 font was much larger, and if I'm not mistaken, no stars OR asterisks. My guess is that in keeping with the larger font of the previous years and the increase in the number of digits, they ran out of space on the embossed square. Hence moving to the significantly smaller font.

The 1971 cars were the first year to feature the star, which replaced the astrix. That is a definite. In 1970 the cars had an astrix on either side of the VIN (the one by the gas tank). So far we've determined that the cars first built in '71 had astrix's. Toward the middle or end of '71, Porsche switched to he star on wither side of the VIN. "Star" as in what we see on the american flag. Astrix would be the symbol like we all have on our computer keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickm View Post
    The 1971 cars were the first year to feature the star, which replaced the astrix. That is a definite. In 1970 the cars had an astrix on either side of the VIN (the one by the gas tank). So far we've determined that the cars first built in '71 had astrix's. Toward the middle or end of '71, Porsche switched to he star on wither side of the VIN. "Star" as in what we see on the american flag. Astrix would be the symbol like we all have on our computer keyboards.
    Ummm, no, that is not a definite and I still disagree. My 1/70 build 70S has stars. Why don't you post pics of 70 VINs with asterisks please.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Here's a 1971 with the astrix's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Based on my data I would say between late April and early June 1971.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

at some point has the symbol "pentagon" been used to indicate something? I'm not talking about the VIn. Maybe engine or transmission? Greetings

Not that I am aware of.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

If you see this star stamped with the VIN, you might want to run away:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586