Thread: FS: Ex-Bruce Anderson 1972 Hotrod

FS: Ex-Bruce Anderson 1972 Hotrod

BACKSTORY
    I have been restoring and building high-level custom 911s as a sort of underground, word-of-mouth side business for 10-years. Earlier this year, I decided to go full-time with it, hence a new public image and we formally launched Zurlinden LLC at the Rennsport Reunion with a vendor booth - I may have been lucky enough to have met some of you while there! And, this car was exhibited Saturday and Sunday.

THE CAR
    Nearly 20 years ago, when I finally had just enough money to buy my first 911, a copy of Bruce Anderson's book was given to me from a good friend. Needless to say, my education in 911s is rooted to Bruce's book. Of course, I'd found his website and therein was a still-born project '72 for sale. For a few years afterwards, I frequented Bruce's website, always checking if the project car was still available. As tempted as I was, I never bothered Bruce about it, knowing I didn't have the scratch to buy it.

Fast forward to January last year, I'm at TRE looking to buy a '69E from a gent. That car wasn't quite what I was after so the fella pointed me to another car of his, a Mexico Blue '72 with RS flares and other goodies but needed completing. I liked that car and we struck a deal. While loading it all up, Dave B. saunters from his office and said, "good choice...you know that's Bruce's old car?" Yeeehaww, after all these years.....

I remember Bruce's original ad closing comments that he'd hoped to find a buyer that would complete the car with a similar vision to his own. While I don't think what I've done to the car is exactly inline with his intentions, I think I've done the car and him proud. Now, I hope to find a buyer that feels the same.

THE BUILD - BRIEFLY
    A "gentleman's hotrod".

Life started for this car as a factory sunroof, factory A/C, Sepia, Sporto car. Since the original trans and motor are long gone and no prior damage to speak of, this car makes a good donor to become something special.

This is a complete restoration, leaving no stone unturned - everything has been touched in some way or another to ensure proper fitment, function, finishing, etc. Of course, worn and aged items get replaced with new.

The project started with a total teardown and media blasting with fabrication and bodywork following. It is now completely straight, consistent gaps, and finished in 2-stage Smyrna Green.

It has butt-welded 930 flares that are heavily metal worked to give them a vintage look - kinda ST-ish. I've modified the torsion tube and chassis to accept a G50-03 from a C2, and properly reinforced for coilovers.

3.4-liter motor with ITBs and EFI (320+hp on 91 pump gas), full stainless steel header/exhaust system (with heat) mated to G50-03 transmission with OS Gikken LSD. Dual master-cylnder brakes with Zuffenhaus 2.8 RSR calipers and 930 rotors. Bilstein RSR coilover struts, revalved for the car's weight and street/canyon carver use. Fox coilover rears. 2-stage springs front & rear for a comfortable highway ride but aggressive cornering. Tarrett RSR sway bars. 17x8 & 10" Fikse/Zuff Fuchs.

The interior to be finished with Lakewell dash, arm rolls, knee pads, carpet, arm rests, door pockets, etc. Leather Sport S seats (afternarket) with matching leather door cards, rear quarters and parcel tray. Upgraded A/C system but uses original early under-dash vent/controls.

Obviously the car is not completed and running so I'm happy to discuss making changes to suit the buyer.

PRICE
    $265,000 OR, price adjusted based on your changes in specifications.

NOTE
    If this car is not exactly your flavor, I have presently have 3 other chassis in stock that could be utilized for your custom build. Feel free to inquire!

--
    Marc Zurlinden
    831-242-0574 - tel

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Marc, i was one of those that went by your booth ! pics do not show the quality of the work you are doing. Your Mom picked out a great colour, its lovely.

GLWS and i will be talking to you soon, inregards to the wheels. Hope car goses to a nice home, worth every penny of it.
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

Likewise I popped in a few times, great colour choice!
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

What chassis is this being built on?
    Did I miss it in the description?

Really like the color, is it Irish Green?
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

Thank you for the kind words.

It's a 1972 chassis/body painted Smyrna Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Fubawu View Post
    Really like the color, is it Irish Green?
    Super nice 356 color. What a car! Always fun with something else than the normal colors on hotrods like this.

Last edited by Schiefer; 11-04-2015 at 05:34 AM. Reason: OP beat me to it ;-)
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

I forgot to mention I have 3.8-liter motor and close-ratio 6spd gearbox options available, too.

can you tell us a bit more re the deviations from bruce's vision?

allso what years did he own the car, or own the tub?

thx

As I recall, Bruce had it laid out with a lot of fiberglass and carbon fiber body parts, 3.6 motor & built 915 trans. It's been a long time but definitely something pretty raw and light, like a 911R.

I'm hoping someone can chime in and help with the whole story because I've only got fragments. I was told Bruce and his wife bought it in the late 70s from the original owner. She (Bruce's wife) drove it regularly, if not daily, for many years. I think she quit driving it in the early 90s and that's when Bruce started laying plans and even starting buying hotrod parts. It was sold in the early 2000s to another Bay Area gent who actually got some progress made to it but then he passed away. The fella' I bought the car from had bought from that man's estate.

Like I said, lots of holes and maybe I'm totally wrong about some of it??? I'd welcome anyone's input here......

Offers and/or trades considered........