Thread: Winter Storage Ideas

Winter Storage Ideas

I've never been a fan of storing a car for the winter but I know a lot of folks do put them away for a few months - or years.

Here's a new article where I go over some of the basics.

Richard Newton

member #1515
    I always pull the plugs and squirt Marvel Mystery oil in to keep the cylinders from corroding. If you have MFI you should drain the gas and fill with a light oil too.
    As you say its better to drive it once a month, there are always dry days, even in the winter.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I have to say I disagree with a lot of the advice you give... don't drive the car on slat roads; modern batteries are fine with a float charger; 1 year (a few months) does not require a huge labor input for stroage; fuel stabilizers work well but aren't mentioned, and etc.

Fuel stabilizers are a real issue. Lots of people love them. Others hate them. The refiners especially don't like them.

Richard Newton

I'm interested in any citations you have on that.

Or any automotive or small engine manf. who says not to use one.

Here's some more information. And some other information.

Well to start with I'd never put any gasoline with any ethanol in an older Porsche. If I was going to writing an article on gasoline stability I'd be citing SAE or SPE research, not some company selling fuel testing kits. Unfortunately for many of us winter storage is a necessity- my biggest issue in Montana is rodents. I am better off storing my cars offsite than in my garage. I am hoping a 4 post storage lift will solve that.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

member #1515
    Years ago, I found a whole litter of mice in the air filter of my Mom's Taurus.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs